Chapter Forty-One - Edificeer

The next day had something of a surreal quality.

I spent the first few hours dividing my empire in two.

After carefully partitioning off the narcotics business, I hand wrote a letter containing the relevant security codes and bank account details. Then I prepared a memory stick with the configuration parameters for the software which I used to communicate with my agents. They might not even notice the handover.

I put all this in an envelope which was buried deep in an inside pocket.

And then, of course, I carefully burnt the rest of the pad of writing paper.

Then, for the first time in my life, I wrote a will.

I left my home, my clubs and all my other legitimate businesses to my little pixie, of course, and, in an accompanying letter, I gave her instructions to allow Quincy to manage them for her. I also told her to take care of the other two musketeers.

I knew that she would not want anything to do with my narcotics operations. If I died, that could die with me.

Then I got in touch with lawyers and managed to establish that James's wife and daughter had been released unharmed by the Swiss police who raided Schloss Kühlingenberg. When I told him, he broke down in tears. "Thank you for letting me know this before you kill me," he said. "And I am truly sorry that I was forced to betray you."

The atmosphere at dinner that evening was distinctly strained. I had already established that my pixie was not stupid and she must have worked out that I intended to complete my elimination of the Mylar group that night. At the end of the meal, she ran away to bed and I went up to my study to sit by the fire and prepare myself, mentally, for what I had to do.

But, after about twenty minutes, I was disturbed by the door opening. I did not bother to look up; not even Quincy would dare to enter my private sanctuary without explicit permission.

My little pixie closed the door behind her and stepped across to the rug in front of the fire. She was wearing one of my shirts and, for some reason, she looked particularly young and vulnerable.

She studied me for a while then pulled the thing off, over her head before slipping gracefully into her submissive pose. I closed my eyes and let out a heartfelt sigh, profoundly comforted by her presence.

After about twenty minutes, I was shaken from my thoughts by a gentle tap at the door.

"Enter!" I called.

Emily stepped into the room but was pulled up short by the sight of her friend in that naked, kneeling pose. "What is it, love?" I asked her with a smile.

"Erm... the car's waiting," she managed at last.

I gave her a nod of thanks and dismissal and could not help smiling as I tried to imagine the other two Musketeers attempting to explain that aspect of our relationship to Emily.

Then, after leaning down to kiss my little pixie on the forehead, I made my way down to the car, still deep in thought.

Two hours later, I was outside my 'Capital' club in the City of London. When I stepped into the reception area, the manager was there to meet me and, with a minimum of fuss, he guided me out through an emergency exit at the back of the building. I had an alibi.

From here, it was not far to a familiar building.

Time for some climbing.

I did not remember it being such a struggle, the first time. Maybe, back then, I was just so fired up by the shock and indignation that I did not notice.