Chapter 8: Static

Lana's lying-in bed awake, when she sees her door open and it's Lex. Lex says, "What are you doing awake? Are you okay?" Lana softly says, "I guess I just have a lot on my mind." Lex says, "Does it concern us?" Lana shakes her head and Lex slowly nods and continues to say, "Lana... I know you've your doubts. I know you sometimes wonder if you can trust me. But I give you my word, you can. I'll always be here for you. Always." Lana softly smiles and says, "I know." Lex sits on her bed and says, "I'm not sure you do. You have no idea how much you mean to me. In an ideal world, I was hoping for some sort of response but it's okay. It's late. We're both tired." As Lex gets up to leave, Lana says, "Lex..." Then an alarm goes off and Lex's security comes in and says, "Mr. Luthor, there's been a breach." Lex says, "What's the code?" The guard says, "1-4-2." Lana looks at Lex and says, "What does that mean?" The guard says, "We have to move." Lex looks at Lana and says, "Everything's gonna be fine. We're safe." The guard grabs Lana's arm and says, "Miss Lang, hurry." Lana says, "What's 1-4-2?" The guard says, "Come on." Lex says, "I'll tell you everything once we're in the panic room." The guard says, "Let's go, Mr. Luthor. Let's go." Lex says, "Don't worry, Lana, you're gonna be okay. I'm right behind you." Lana watches Lex disappear, she panics and says, "Lex? Lex? Where did he go?" The guard drags Lana into the panic room and says, "Ms. Lang. Lang, we've to get into the panic room, now." Lana shouts, "Lex!" The guard says, "Come on. Shut the door." The next day, Lana goes to see Lionel and Lionel sees Lana and says, "Lana. Please. Come in. Uh, would you excuse us for a minute? Thank you, George." George walks out the room and Lionel looks at Lana and says, "Lana, this is, uh, just devasting. I've taken a suite for you at the Metro Seasons Hotel. It's for your safety." Lana says, "For my safety or to distance me from the cover-up?" Lionel is taken back and says, "A conspiracy?" Lana says, "Security refuses to let me see any of the surveillance footage. They tell me that I'm seeing things." Lionel says, "Tell me. Tell me what did you see? I don't even know how to begin to explain it but, um... Lex turned into static... and he disappeared." Lionel says, "Look, it was dark. Perhaps in the chaos--" Lana says, "I know what I saw." Lionel says, "What else do you remember? Anything. Anything that can give me a clue." Lana says, "The guards mentioned a number. A code, 1-4-2. You know what that means." Lionel says, "No. No, but I will find out." Lana says, "I'm sure you will. And I'd appreciate it if you let me know when anything else comes up." Lionel says, "Of course. I know how important you are to Lex. Of course, I will." Lana nods and walks away.