Chapter 3

Hook had to stay for the rest of the day, to get everything he owned packed up (which wasn't much) and to gain access to a magic bean, which had recently become very scarce in Storybrooke.

Emma had been trying to avoid Hook for most of the day, hiding out at Regina's house. She had faced her son only once, to tell him to talk to Hook, and barely managing to explain exactly what was troubling her. "I'm sorry kid, but he wants to go back to the Enchanted Forest." Emma told him. "I wanted you to get a chance to say goodbye to him before he leaves."

"Mom, it's fine." Henry told her. 

"No, kid, it's not." Emma said. "He's gone from your life, and it's my fault. I'll be forever guilty of that, and I'm sorry."

"I still have you and my other mom." Henry said. "I've never felt the need to have Hook in my life because I already have two perfectly capable mothers."

Emma gave him a small smile. "Killian will be at ou--my place, packing his stuff up. Why don't you go say goodbye." Henry started to leave, but Emma stopped him at the last second. "And kid, don't tell him what you told me. Things are bad enough already."

"Hey mom?" Henry started. Emma had already gone to lay down on the couch. 

"Yes Henry?" Emma asked.

"Come with me." Emma started to laugh. Then she realized that he was serious, and stopped right away. 

"Oh trust me Henry, he does NOT want to see me right now." Emma explained. "It'll be better if you go on your own."

"I hate to sound like grandma, but..." Henry hesitated. "I think the fact that you don't want to talk to him is the exact reason you do. I know you, mom. In a few weeks from now, you are going to regret this, and you are going to regret not talking to Hook, not saying goodbye. You're going to regret saying that you hate him, and you're going to want to take back every last word that you say. So just come with me. And say you're sorry, and tell Hook that truth. Tell him how you really feel so he doesn't regret you for the rest of your life, and so you don't think your time with him was a mistake, like you did with my dad."

"When did you get into hope speeches?" Emma asked, giving him a small smile.

"Well, never. I just kinda thought that maybe this one time, you'd need it." Henry smiled back at her. 

"Hate to break it to you, Ms. Swan, but our son is right." Regina said. 

Henry nodded, not seeming in any way concerned that his mother had just appeared out of the other room, and probably had overheard their entire conversation. Something Emma found highly embarrassing, even if she wasn't sure why. She still felt hesitant about keeping Regina informed on her love life.

"Fine." Emma said. There was no overtaking Regina. "I'll tell him I'm sorry. I'll tell him everything."

Emma should've known it was a bad idea from the start. She never should've talked to Killian, but she felt slightly better after walking out of there, as though a weight had been lifted. However, in other places, she felt like she was about to collapse. Although she had told him the truth, Emma couldn't stop hearing one thing Killian had said.

Henry and Hook had said goodbye. Hook was never really the one to give someone a huge goodbye hug. He kinda patted Henry on the back with his one and only hand.

"Swan." He muttered. 

"Killian, I wanted to confess something to you. It's something I don't do often, so enjoy it." Emma told him. 

Killian threw one of his leather coats into the suitcase with a little too much force. 

"Can we, uh, sit down." Emma muttered.

"It's not worth it, is it, Swan?" Killian asked. "I already know exactly what you are going to say, and I really, really, don't want to hear it."

Emma bit her lip. Confusion must have shown on her face, because when Killian saw her face, he looked utterly amused. "Oh I see how it is. Do you want me to say it?" He paused, and before Emma could muster up the ability to say anything, Killian had continued. "It's about Regina, isn't it. That's what this is all about huh?"

At this point, Emma couldn't help it any more. "What are you talking about?"

Killian continued to look angry, until he realized that she wasn't joking. He laughed. "Oh, you really don't know, do you?" He shook his head, still laughing coldly. "Don't worry, Swan. One day you'll stop being so blind."

"Killian!" Emma cried. "I didn't come here to talk about some stupid revelation of yours! I came here to say I was sorry about what I said earlier. I didn't mean a single word of the stupid stuff. I did love you, and I still love you, just not in that kind of way. And I understand why you can't stay, but just know that I wish you could. I didn't want to leave here without telling you the truth, the full truth. And I know you probably don't feel the same way, but I just wanted you to know. I'm--sorry. I'm really sorry."

It was amazing how much this little speech had changed Killian's features from looking full of cold hatred to just being plain old sorry. "Yeah, Swan." Killian said. "I know you didn't. But it feels good to hear you say that. And I just want you to know, I'm sorry, too. I'll miss you in the other realm, oh how I will miss you. And normally, I wouldn't be doing this, but I'm never going to see you again, so I might as well."

He pressed his lips to hers. For Emma, what used to be a normal act between the two of them, had suddenly felt so wrong. But in a way, it made her feel better. Made her know that she made the right choice. And for Killian, it was a goodbye.

Emma left the room. She was sorry. But she wasn't as regretful as before. But the words It's about Regina isn't it? and You really don't know, do you? kept repeating themselves inside her head, and Emma still didn't know what they meant.

She knew she had to stop thinking about it though. Killian was probably just trying to annoy her.