Chapter 9

Emma had followed her parent's instructions, and asked Regina out. But instead of meeting in the forest, the two of them went to Granny's diner. Everyone saw them there. 

"Hi, Regina," Emma said, sitting across from Regina at one of the many tables.

Regina looked around, and said in a lowered voice, "Emma, what is this about?"

"I talked to my parents." Emma explained. "And they don't have anything against our relationship. But they also told me that we have to stop hiding it. I bet half the town already knows."

Regina could feel the butterflies in her stomach. "So your suggestion was to go to Granny's with me? We go to Granny's all the time."

"It's a date, Madame Mayor." Emma muttered. "Someone here is bound to get that and I'll bet you anything in a few days the whole town will know."

"If you say so." Regina muttered.

At that moment, Red walked over to the table. "Can I get you two anything?" She asked. Emma and Regina both ordered their usuals.

"Anything for Henry?" Red asked.

The two women bit their lips. "No, uh, it's just going to be us today." Emma said awkwardly. "Henry's doing homework and stuff at--home."

"Smooth, Ms. Swan, very smooth." Regina whispered across the table.

"What was I supposed to say?" Emma whispered back.

Regina didn't hesitate. "Maybe just tell her that we are on a date. The whole point of going out in public is that we don't have to keep this thing a secret anymore."

Emma turned sour. "I'm sorry if I don't know exactly how to explain I was going on a date with you."

"It seemed like most of the town already knew what was going on." Regina said.

"Which is why I don't have to say anything." Emma muttered. "Because the town can put two and two together to figure out that we are together."

"Alright, Ms. Swan." Regina said. "You seem to know what your doing."

"I really don't." Emma said. "How about we act normal. I didn't mean for this to be weird."

Regina nodded. A moment later their food came. Acting normal was more easily said than done. Everything felt more weird when they were in public. 

"I really should get back to work." Regina said.

"Okay." Emma nodded in agreement.

The two stood up. 

"I'll see you later." Emma said, giving Regina a soft kiss on the lips. Regina froze. "Now soon, everyone will know." Emma whispered.

And then, just like that, the truth was out. Before either of them knew what was happening, the town seemed to know. But both of them were surprised to find that it didn't seem like a big deal. Apparently the Savior and the Evil Queen getting together didn't seem all that huge anymore, after everything else that had happened in the small town in the corner of Maine.

At this point, half the town knew and Emma knew it was time to tell their son. She confronted Regina about this, but also to her surprise, Regina agreed.

"We have to tell him." Regina told her. "He deserves to know."

Emma smiled. "I'm glad you think so. Should we talk to him tonight? I'll bring popcorn and put some melted milk duds in there."

"That sounds awful!" Regina cried. "Why ruin the popcorn?"

"I'm not ruining anything, it adds to the taste." Emma insists. "I promise you'll love it."