Chapter 5

The next few weeks were great. Emma enjoyed staying at Regina's far more than she had ever enjoyed staying with her parents or even Killian. Henry was acting kind of strange and seemed a little too excited about Emma moving in.

"Hey kid, wanna go out for ice cream?" Emma asked him one day. 

"No!" Regina called from the other room. Emma laughed.

"I know that was you Regina!" Emma called back. "And why don't you come too? It will be some fun family time."

"You sound like your parents!" Regina yelled back.

"No, I don't. My parents never take me out for ice cream!" Emma hollered to the other room.

Regina walked into the kitchen. "You're almost thirty, Ms. Swan of course your parents don't take you out for ice cream."

"You're point?" 

Regina sighed. 

"Let's go!" Henry said. His shoes were already on and he looked ready to go. Emma raised her eyebrows.

"Oh..oh okay then." Emma said, laughing. Emma and Regina got ready too. 

"You know I can just magic us over there right?" Regina asked, when Emma offered to drive. Emma eyed her with annoyance. "What?"

Emma laughed. "It's just that's a little...boring... Come on, Regina ditch the magic for the night we'll drive around town, get some ice cream, and hang out together. Ever since I moved in we haven't really had a 'family night' with just the three of us. And magic-ing ourselves around town isn't exactly...traditional."

"Alright." Regina agreed. 

The three of them drove over to the ice cream shop, greeted by the nice young lady who ran the shop, ever since Ingrid had died. It was a great night, Regina admitted to herself. It was just like being with Robin and Roland at the ice cream shop before Robin had died. Emma was the only one that ever made her feel like she was really loved, other than Henry, of course. 

There was still no chance that Regina was going to admit the truth to Emma. Clearly Henry, who probably knew about these feelings already, was hoping that she would finally tell Emma tonight, if he gave them enough time alone. And sure enough, a few minutes later, Henry got up from the table.

"I have to go to the bathroom." He told them.

"You just went!" Emma told him.

He grinned mischievously. "I guess I had too much ice cream."

Emma and Regina chuckled as he disappeared.

Although neither one was willing to admit it, they both knew that Henry had left the table to give them a chance to say something together. It was the perfect chance to admit something you've been hiding. They had taken a seat on the second level, on the porch, and the town view of Storybrooke was beautiful. The clock tower said that there was ten minutes until ten o-clock. The stars gave all the light they needed, and the wind was blowing. The two women sat right next to each other. They were both staring at the view down below. 

After a few seconds of silently enjoying the view, they looked back at each other. 

Her face is so close, Regina was thinking. If I lean forward....

"It's a great view." Emma said. However, her eyes had left the amazing sight, and were now staring at the woman she was too scared to admit she loved. 

Regina was too scared to kiss Emma. She noticed Emma's hand lying alone on her leg. She slowly inched her hand towards Emmas. The Regina held on, and to her great relief, Emma didn't pull away.

Just lean forward, lean forward... Regina thought.

Before she could stop to think about it, Regina was falling forward...her face inching toward Emma's. It was hardly noticeable, but Emma didn't pull away.

She feels the same way. Regina thought. She's not pulling away. Kiss her, just kiss her.

They were sharing breaths. Their lips were only two centimeters apart. They closed their eyes. There were both ready. They didn't need to admit their feelings, because they both knew how the other one felt. Regina loved Emma, and Emma loved her right back.

Emma was doing it...she was finally doing it...she was kissing the woman she loved...she had managed to do it...her lips were less than a centimeter away.

Nothing else mattered in the world, it was only her and Emma...

But then there was a loud crash from inside the ice cream store. The both jumped up, out of their seats. Regina banged her head on Emma's shoulder in her haste to get up.

"Did you hear that?" Emma asked.

Regina nodded. She wanted to say she was sure it was nothing, but there was no way it was nothing. She had been closer than ever before to kissing Emma...and she'd failed.

"Hey, I'm sure it's fine." Regina said, grabbing Emma's hand. They walked down the short hallway to the bathroom.

Then a terrible sight met their eyes. Henry was lying on the ground, knocked out. 

"No...no..." Emma said. Then the owner of the ice cream shop came rushing past. 

"I think something must have fallen off the wall and hit is head!" She cried. "I'll call the hospital...I'm sure it's nothing major."

Emma placed her head on Regina's shoulders, shaking. They were still holding hands.

"I'm sure it's fine Ms. Swan." Regina whispered.

"You don't know that."

"I don't. But sometimes hope has to be enough." Regina told her.

"Your kid's going to be just fine." Whale said. An hour had passed. Henry had woken up. He was bleeding, a piece of glass had cut his forehead. "Luckily it wasn't anything serious. He'll be able to leave in the morning. I just have to take one last look at him."

Emma and Regina both felt so relieved. They hadn't let go of each other since the accident. 

The door to Henry's hospital room open. Emma's parents walked in. By instinct, Regina and Emma jumped apart. Although her parents were accepting of most of the things she did, Emma was doubtful wether they would accept her feeling towards Regina. But now that she knew Regina felt the same way...maybe things could finally start moving along.

"It's okay." Emma said. "He's gonna be fine." 

Snow and David both let out sighs of relief. Neither of them had noticed Regina and Emma standing closer together than usual.