chapter 1

"Let's go, Margo." Avery says, tapping her pink nails on the counter top. Her makeup looked flawless, and her dress was a black elastic material, that fit her perfectly. I, on the other hand, was wearing jeans and a tee shirt, definitely not in the mood to 'party hardy' as she would say. I shake my head, and take another sip of my ginger ale. She groans and leans her back on the counter.
"You've never come with me to a party. Ever! Now come on, let's go!" She says, pulling my arm a little. I roll my eyes and look at her perfectly curled hair.
"Margo, it's your birthday. Let loose! I mean, you are turning 17." She tell a me, wiggling her eye brows. I smile, and finally give in.
"Fine. I'll go. But just this one time." I say, as she claps her hands and walks towards the door. I follow her, glancing at my outfit and sighing. Without looking at me, she knows what's up.
"You look fine." She says, while taking a seat in her car. I sit next to her, as she starts up the car. It takes us a couple minutes to get there, and when we so arrive, the place is packed.
"Who's house is this?" I ask her, looking at all the cars on the lawn.
"It's Shane's. Now, please find someone to dance with tonight! Have fun!" She says, stepping out of the car, and walking up to the door.
"Your leaving me alone? On my birthday?" I ask her, shocked. Avery was never like this. She always cared about my opinion and could tell when I was mad, or sad, or whatever. But now she's just acting like a complete bitch.
"You'll be fine, Margo." And she steps into the large house. I follow her in, and my face already feels hot. I'm assuming that there are about 200 people here?
I start to walk around a bit, hoping that I just might see someone I know. I sit down on a couch in the living room, and pull out my phone. Maybe if I scroll through my phone, time will go by faster?
"I'll be right back, just need to sit down for a few!" I hear someone say. I look up from my phone and see a boy, about my age, walk into the room. The boy sighs, and I look up at him. He smiles at me, and I quickly look back down. He sits down next to me, staring at his shoes. He smells like alcohol and cigarettes.
"Were you dragged here too?" He asks.
"Huh?"
"Did your friends make you come here? Like, you don't want to be here but your here anyway?" He looks at me, and I sigh.
"Yeah. My friend Avery, she wanted me to come." I tell him. He nods.
"She's currently hitting on my friend in the kitchen." He laughs.
"Avery? That doesn't sound like her."
"Well I've never seen you at a party. She acts different at these types if things." He says.
"Yeah, I guess." I say.
"Hey, you busy tomorrow?" Tomorrow? As in, the day after this one? I just met him, and don't even know his name!
"I can't. I have my birthday dinner with my family tomorrow." I tell him.
"When's your birthday?" He asks me. I sigh, checking the time on my phone.
11:50
"It's..it's tonight." I tell him. He looks at me confused, and looks me in the eyes.
"But didn't you say you didn't want to be here?" He asks.
"She forced me." I tell him, as he scoots closer to me. The time is now 11:57, and my birthday is almost over. His lips move closer to mine, and I don't know what to do.
"What are you doing?" I ask him. He smiles a little, but then moves even closer.
"I'm going to kiss you." He says, as if I didn't know what he was going to do.
"I can't kiss you." I tell him, pulling away. He moves back a little, and has a confused look on his face.
"Why not?" He asks me. I roll my eyes and look at the time. 11:58.
"I...I've never kissed anyone before." I say, starting to feel embarrassed. Here I am, age 17, and Margo Fieldman has never kissed a human of the opposite gender.
"We'll let me be your first kiss." He says.
"You want to be my first kiss? Why?" I ask him.
"Who wouldn't want to kiss you? Your beautiful." He says, pushing some of my hair behind my ear. He leans closer again, and I can almost feel his soft lips touch mine.
"What's your name?" I quickly ask him. He frowns a little.
"What's yours?" He asks me, as if he doesn't want to tell me his name.
"My name is Margo Fieldman." I tell him. I look at the time, and it's now 12:00. He looks at the door to the living room, and another guy is standing there. He looks at me and sighs, picking up his phone off the coffee table.
"I gotta go." He tells me. He follows the guy out of the room, but stops and looks at me.
"I'm Shawn." He says, and walks completely out of my view.
*************************************************************************
"I can't believe you dragged me to that party." I tell Avery, kicking an empty soda can as we leave the house. She rolls her eyes and takes a seat in her car, as I sit next to her. I take out my phone, and the brightness hurts my eyes because of how dark the car is.
"Did you meet anybody tonight?" She asks me, changing the subject. I notice that my lock screen is different from a couple hours ago, and I know that I didn't change it. I get into the phone since there is no pass code, and notice that everything is different on this phone. This is not mine.
"My grabbed the wrong phone." I mumble, leaning my head on the backseat.
"How did you do that?" Avery laughs a little, making a turn down her street.
"I don't know." I say, inspecting the case, and noticing that it's the same one that I have. Just a plain white case.
"Don't worry. Just text your number and hopefully someone has your phone and will text back." She says. I sigh, and does what she says. I type my number in on messages and send them a quick 'who is this'. They immediately reply, which I thought was lucky.
:hi
:um who's this?
:who's this?
:ha ha I asked you first
:fine. this is shawn
:you do realize that I have your phone and you have mine, right?
:I had a feeling since I'm not really a fan of one direction
:oh yeah I guess that would give it away
:mhm
:so when do you want your phone
:now
:now?
:yeah, now
:fine. where do you live
: ####### #####
:okay
And I turn off his phone.
"Avery, wait." I tell her, as she starts to pull into her driveway. She stops the car and taps her nails against the steering wheel.
"What is it?" She asks. I sigh, holding up the phone.
"He wants his phone back."
"He?"
"Yes. A boy. This is his phone." She rolls her eyes and asks for his address. She nods, and backs out of her driveway. It only takes us a couple minutes before we reach the fancy neighborhood he says he lives in.
"Your friend lives here?" She asks, looking at the big house that she approached. I nod, and step out of the car.
"Should I wait in the driveway?" She asks. I nod again, and walk up to the door. I ring the doorbell, and the welcoming chimes start playing. A minute later, Shawn stands in the doorway, wearing jeans and a flannel.
"Hey." He says, looking at my hands that hold his phone. He reaches out for it, but I pull my hands back.
"Where's my phone?" I ask him. He smiles, and turns around. I follow him in the house and look at everything. The clean hardwood floors, the cream colored walls, family photos. Everything. It all seemed so homey.
"Here." He says, picking yo my phone from the coffee table. I hand him his and unlock my phone, making sure he hasn't deleted anything.
"I only texted you." He laughs a little. I smile and watch him unlock his phone.
"Thanks for your number." He smirks. My..number? We'll I guess I saw that one coming since he did have my phone.
"You too." I said.
"I should get going." I tell him, turning around. He grabs my elbow, and I'm now facing him.
"Why didn't you kiss me?" He asks. I stare at his shoes and shrug.
"I don't like things to go to fast." I tell him. He smiles a little and then shakes his head.
"Your not like other girls, are you?" He asks.
"No, I guess not." I say. I walk towards the door with him following me, and turn around in the doorway.
"Bye Shawn." I tell him, walking down the concrete steps.
"Bye Margo." He says, and it almost comes out as a whisper. I hear the door close and sit back down in Avery's car, waiting for her to pull out of his driveway.
"You are friends with Shawn Mendes?" She asks.
"I guess so." I say, smiling.
"I guess so."