chapter 3

Sunday rolls around quicker than I thought it was. Of course, today has to be a rainy day here in Ontario. It was such a boring city to me. There was nothing really to do here. Everyone knew who each other was, everyone knew where everyone lived, and I liked it that way. I liked knowing that a lot of people know me, and I have people to turn to for help. It's a nice feeling, which is why I'm glad I live here.
I walk out the door and step onto the sidewalk, as droplets of rain bounce off my head. I guess I should of brought an umbrella with me, considering that this "rain" feels more like hail. It only takes me 10 minutes to get to the little shop, and when I do get there, there's barely anyone there.
I push open the door to the building and it smells like coffee and cakes. I've only come here once, and it was when I was like 5. I vaguely remember anything, but I do know that they have had the same fairy lights strummed across the walls for what seems like forever. I look to my right and see Shawn sitting at a table against the wall, scrolling through his phone. I walk over to him and sit down across the table, and his head lifts up from the phone.
"Hey. I'm glad your here. I almost thought you weren't coming." He smiles.
"Why wouldn't I come?" I laugh a little. He shrugs.
"My moms at work, so I didn't have a car. I had to walk in the rain."
"I was wondering why your clothes were wet." He laughs.
"Yeah. I was stupid and didn't grab an umbrella." I tell him, shivering a little.
"Are you cold? Do you want a drink?" He asks me. I nod, following him up to the counter.
"Two hot chocolates please." He tells the lady, pulling out his wallet.
"Shawn, you don't have to pay for me."
"Oh I know. I want to pay for you, babe." He tells me. And there goes the butterfly's in my stomach. Yep, there they go, fluttering around and making me feel like I'm going to throw up.
I follow him as he walks down to the end of the counter, and he grabs the drinks. I feel like a lost puppy trailing after him like this, but I don't know what to do. I hate to admit it, but this is my first date, if we even consider this a date. He sits down in the chair and I sit down in mine, as I watch him pass me my drink. I take a sip and the warmth from my drink heats me up a little bit.
"What do you like to do?" He asks me, sipping his drink.
"I like to sing, I guess." I tell him, struggling. He smiles and fiddles with his fingers.
"Yeah, me too. I'm actually in the process of getting my first album out." He says.
"Really? That's amazing!" I say, in compete aw. Never in a million years would I guess that Shawn Mendes, who lives in my city if Ontario, would have his own songs and albums out.
"Yeah, it's awesome. I'm actually having a concert soon. You should come." He says, smiling even more now.
"I'd love to go to one of your concerts, Shawn. Do you mind hooking me up with tickets?" I ask him, laughing a bit.
"Oh for you?" He says.
"VIP." He laughs. We talk about his singing career for awhile, and about me too. His life is so interesting, and mine is just boring. Mine is like the color gray, and his is like the color emerald green.
"So where does your mom work?" He asks me.
"My mom works at the pharmacy down the street from here. She actually told me to bring her something." I tell him, looking at all the little cakes from my seat.
"I want to meet her." Shawn says. What? He wants to meet my mother?
"You do? Why?" I ask him, a little confused.
"I just want to get to know you better." He shrugs. He stands up and walks over to the little cases of cakes.
"What does your mom like?" He asks, scanning the case.
"I guess she would like a slice of cake. Carrot is her favorite." I tell him, pointing to an orange slice of cake.
"We'll take that one." Shawn tells the lady working behind the counter, pointing to the carrot cake.
"Shawn, I'm paying." I say, pulling out the money I had stuffed in my pocket.
"Margo, please." He smiles at me. I sigh, and watch him lay the lady, taking the plastic box with a slice of cake inside. We walk out if the shop and stand under the roof of the shop, listening to the rain for a couple seconds.
"The pharmacy is this way." I tell him, pointing to my right. He nods and follows me along the sidewalk. My sneakers make splashing sounds as I step in the pools of water in the ground. I shiver a little, and rub my shoulder.
"Do you want my coat, Margo?" He asks, slipping off his jacket.
"I don't want you to be cold." I say, taking the jacket from him.
"Don't worry about me." He says. I smile, and slip the jacket on. It fit perfectly.
"Thank you, Shawn." I say, opening the door to the pharmacy.
"Margo?" My mom says, walking out from behind the counter.
"Hi mom." I say, giving her a little hug. She looks at shawn and smirks at me.
"Who's your friend?" She asks. I feel my cheeks go red from embarrassment. I look up to see shawn smiling. He rubs my left shoulder and looks at my mom.
"Hello Mrs. Fieldman." He says, offering his hand out to my mom. My mom ignores his hand and hugs him, causing his hand to move away from my shoulder.
"So nice to meet you.." She says, still wondering what his name is.
"I'm Shawn." He smiles at her. He looks at me and I realize that his cheeks are pink too.
"We brought you cake." I tell my mom, as shawn hands her the box.
"Thank you dear. Now why don't you run along and do something, I have lent of work to do." She says, walking behind the counter. I nod, and walk towards the door.
"Bye Mrs. Fieldman! Nice meeting you!" Shawn says, waving. We step back outside and sit in the slightly wet bench.
"Your mom is so sweet." He says, hugging him self.
"Yeah, she's very sweet." I say, staring at my fingers.
"Where's your dad?" He asks. I sign, and stare at my shoes.
"He works in Europe. Well, at least that's what my mom says. I've never seen him or heard from him. My mom says he's going to visit us, but he never does." I tell him, leaning my head back on the window if the shop.
"I'm sorry you don't see your dad." He says, rubbing his thumb over my hand. He leans into me, placing his hand over mine. He's going to kiss me, isn't he? Our lips were basically brushed against each other, but we pull away when we hear Shane's annoying voice.
"Hey Shawn." He says. I look away, embarrassed. Shawn sighs.
"Hi Shane." He says, scratching the back of his neck.
"Want to come over? Just got the newest gaming system! It's sweet." Shane says.
"I..um...sure." Shawn says. Damn it. I really wanted to spend more time with him.
"Cool." Shane says, and walks away, leaving Shawn and I on the bench.
"I'm sorry about that." He says. I stand up and start walking away, back to my house.
"Margo!" Shawn says, catching up to me. His foot steps start getting closer and closer, and before I know it, his hands are on my shoulders and his lips are attached to mine.