chapter 11

Shawn quietly closes the door to my house, and steps onto the rug.
"Do you think she's awake?" Shawn whispers. A light turns on upstairs, and there's my mom, looking over the top of the stairs.
"Where have you been?" She asks. I look at Shawn as he, once again, licks his lips.
"Mrs. Feildman! How are you?" He asks her, in his most welcoming voice.
"Where have you two been?" She asks us. I sigh, and play with my fingers.
"We'll...where has my dad been?" I ask her. Her eyes widen and then she shakes her head.
"Your father has been in Europe for 17 years, Margo." She says, crossing her arms over her chest and walking down the stairs.
"No he's not Mom. I just fucking met him at the gas station!" I yell. Her finger touches her lip, as her gorgeous blue eyes water. Her mouth is open a bit, and her lip is quivering.
"Your.....father?" She chokes out the last part. I hold Shawn's hand and nod.
"Yes, my Father." I say. She sits on the last step of the stairs and presses her hands into her forehead.
"I knew he would find you." She mumbles, wiping a tear from her eye.
"What? Find her?" Shawn asks, sitting down on the ground. His head is leaned against the front door, as I sit down next to him.
"Yes. Find her. Find Margo." She says, rubbing her hand over the carpeted stairs.
"What do you mean?" I ask her. She sighs and shakes her head.
"What I mean is that your father never went to Europe. He never worked for a major company and moved. Your father left me when you were born, because I was broke and had no money. He wanted to take you, Margo. You and Nicholas. But I wouldn't let him. He's after you. He's been looking for you." She says. My father left my mom? He wanted to take me? My father seems so fucked up.
"What the hell!" I cry. I bury my face in Shawn's shoulder, him rubbing my back and occasionally whispering, "aw Margo" or "Margo stop crying. Margo please stop crying baby".
"I think you two should head upstairs. I'll call the police." She says.
"I want him gone. I can't have him near you." She says, wrapping the telephone wire around her fingers.
Shawn and I walk up the stairs and into my room. He lays down on my bed and closes his eyes. I walk over to the window and rest one hand on the window sill.
"My family is fucked up." I say, looking at the motionless street. All the cars were parked in the driveway, and an occasional breeze would blow the trees a little. The gentle wind blew my hair back a bit, sending a shiver down my spine.
"Your family is sweet, Margo." Shawn says, propping himself up on his elbows.
"My father wants to kill me." I whisper.
"You look beautiful." Shawn says.
"I'm not very pretty, Shawn. Why do you even hang out with me?" I ask him, still looking out the window. He stands up and places his hands on my hips.
"Because your different." He whispers in my ear.
"Different is bad."
"Different is extraordinary."
"I hate being diffident though. No one understands you."
"No one?"
"Yeah, no one." He moves closer to me, leaning more of his weight on me. He stumbles forwards a bit, pushing me more into the window. He steps back and scratches the back of his head.
"Your such a dork." I laugh. He grabs my hands and smiles.
"I, Shawn Mended, understand you, Margo Ann Feildman." He says.
"I know. And I love you for that."
"You love me?" He asks.
"Yes. Very much." I say. He kisses my lips and smiles.
"I love you too, Margo."
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
It's currently 3 am and I cannot sleep. Shawn has his arms wrapped around my waist, and I'm pulled close to him.
"Shawn?" I whisper.
"Hm?" He mumbles.
"What are we? Like, now that we both have feelings for each other?" I ask him, gently closing my eyes.
"We are something special." He mumbles again, in a deep raspy 3 o'clock in the morning voice.
"What does that mean?" I whisper again, as he kisses my shoulder.
"We are very very close friends. Now I don't like getting into relationships to qui-"
"You wanted me to kiss you the first day I met you." I say.
"Because I found you incredibly irresistible. That never happens for me." He mumbles again. It's silent for a minute, until Shawn speaks again.
"I love you. You know that, Margo. I don't want you to forget that. Okay?" He asks.
"Okay." I yawn, before my eyes close, and I doze off to sleep.