chapter 14

"So ole Shawny boy is finally on the football team!" Jack says, patting Shawn's back. Shawn smiles a little, but I can tell he's faking it. He's good.
"Uh, yep!" Shawn laughs nervously. He was wearing a jersey with the number 42 on the back, and he was holding a football that his dad had bought him. He looked mortified by all the stronger guys in the team, that were laughing because he was too "scrawny". Shawn wasn't scrawny. He wasn't scrawny at all. He worked out a lot actually.
"So how about after Fridays game, we all go to Matthew Mcormicks party?" Johnson suggests, and nudges me a bit. I hadn't gone to a party with Avery since the night a passed out, and I didn't really want to go to one on Friday. Shawn wraps his arm around my waist.
"I don't think we will be going." He says.
"Why not, Shawn? Haven't seen you at a party since September." Avery says. She was currently wrapping her arms around Shane's waist. They were dating, I guess. Avery loved attention, especially if the attention was from a boy.
"I don't drink." He says, licking his lips. His gear was putting a gap between Shawn's real chest and mine, and it was hard to wrap my back arm around his waist. I didn't really like football star Shawn, and I knew he didn't like him either.
"We'll your girlfriend does." A kid named Cameron said. He was a total party person, and never missed a chance to escape his house. Although he never got wasted at a party. He always wanted to see what was going on, so if something bad ever happened, he would know the true story.
"That was one time, okay?" I tell him. He smirks and crosses his arms.
"Yeah yeah." Cameron shrugs. Coach Wilson blows a whistle, which signals us to get off the field, and the players to get on the field.
"Have fun out there, tough guy." I tell Shawn, and then kiss his cheek. I pat his chest, feeling the rock hard padding. He nods and then puts on his helmet on. He looks at the field and shakes his head.
"I fucking hate sports." He mumbles, before jogging out into the center of the field. I sit on the bleachers next to Avery, and watch her examine Shane. Her eyes don't leave him for about 10 minutes.
"What are you doing? Taking notes?" I laugh, taking a pretzel out of her bag.
"He's just so dreamy!" She says. Shane was cute. He had brown hair, was tall, and had these super cute dimples. Of course she loved him: he was hot.
"You just want to fuck him." I tell her.
"Your probably right." She says. She zips up her black North Face, and pulls out her phone.
"Let's look through the comments on Shawn's photos." Avery says, pulling up his account.
"He's been getting so much hate." I say, watching shawn trying to catch a football. He reaches out, and the football slips it of his fingers. Shane hits his back hardly, and Shawn just stands there.
"Take 5!" Coach yells. Shawn furiously rips off his helmet, and he holds it to his side. He walks towards the fence that separates the bleachers from the field. I walk to the bottom of the bleachers and rest my arms on the fence. Shawn walks up to me and sighs.
"I hate football. I hate the people, and I hate the game." He says. I grab his face and kiss him, and then pulling away. I wipe my thumb over his cold cheek and smile.
"Your so cold. You sure you don't want a hot drink or something?" He looks out onto the field and shakes his head. His cheeks were flushed a bright crimson, and his hands were freezing. He did not look like Shawn. He looked like a person who didn't want to waste there time on a damn football field.
"Why don't we leave?" I ask him. He shakes his head again, and looks at his shoes.
"I can't, Margo. I can't just leave." He says. The coach blows the whistle again, motioning for Shawn to come back. He puts on his red helmet and jogs back onto the field. I sigh, and sit back down next to Avery. She was sitting with her chin in the palm of her hand, scrolling through comments.
"Some people are just so damn rude." She says, shaking her head at some of the comments.
@katyyerick8: how could you do this to us? We've been waiting for 6 months, and now we get nothing? Wow. That's pretty damn low.
@laurenkriskoily: I've been a fan for years. I've lost all respect for you
@hannahmarinoo: totally respect you and this decision. No matter what, I'll support you through anything. Love you Shawn<3
"Some of these girls are so nice though." She says, replying back to some. Avery and I get all these followers now, since we know Shawn. It's almost as if were famous, too.
"Yeah. I love the nice ones." I tell her, resting my chin in my hands.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Let's grab something to eat." Shawn says, buckling himself into the car. His jersey was off now, and he was wearing sweat pants and a tee shirt. His hair was a mess from the helmet he had been wearing all day.
"Where to?" He starts up the car and cranks up the heat. He turns on the radio and closes his eyes.
"I don't know, Margo. I'm so damn tired." He says.
"So just drop me off. Go home and sleep." I tell him. He pulls out of the parking lot, and drives onto the highway.
"We can grab some Wendy's. I'm fine. I'll sleep later." He says. I look out the window, and notice a black truck in the lane next to us. They were extremely close to the car.
"Hey. That car is super close to us." I say, tapping his shoulder and still looking out the window. Shawn yawns and shakes his head.
"Probably just coming into our lane." He says. But I knew he was wrong. This car was not coming into our lane. It looks like the car was trying to hit our car.
"Shawn, drive faster." I say, gripping onto my seatbelt.
"Margo it's just a truck trying to sw-"
"Shawn speed up!" I yell, as the car comes close enough to us to scrape us. Shawn steps on the gas pedal, and we speed up so were far away from the car.
"What the fuck!" I yell, running my fingers through my long brown hair.
"The car wasn't that close to us, Margo. Your just tired." He tells me, placing his hand on my thigh.
"Can..can we just go to Wendy's. I just want to get home." I tell him.
"You okay? Do you need me to stay with you tonight?" Shawn asks. He knew my mother was working a late shift today. She was going to work until 12.
"I uh...yeah. Can you?" I ask him. He nods, pulling into the drive through.