End of the Beginning

The menacing figure stands atop the pile of mangled bodies, a sinister smirk never leaving his blood covered face. "Don't you pitiful, WEAK heroes see? I am the king of this world-- Of all worlds!!" He hollered, manic laughter escaping him after. His glee was poorly cut short, however, by an arrow to the back which had done nothing but make him hunger more. "More bloodshed!" He thought, "More anguish!!" Itching for a fight, the slender figure whipped around to the direction of his attacker only to see a child with bow in hand and determination in his tiny heart. Had this been any other boy, the self-proclaimed king would have slaughtered the insignificant worm and moved on. And yet, something was off. He smelled familiar. In the blink of an eye, the brave child was held up by his throat as the firm grip only got tighter. "You... Will not survive this hell... Young one..." Without hesitation, the man shaped his hand to that of a spear and plunged it through the poor boy's skull, splashing bits of pink on the wall opposite them, a pool of blood forming beneath the two. The beast, hungry for more, simply tossed the corpse aside and lapped the crimson fluids off his hands and arms as he walked deeper into the ruin.

The city was just the beginning. I needed more bloodshed, more horrific screams! Months had passed since the start of my massacre and all but one corner of this pitiful excuse of a world had been laid to waste by my hand. I knew what had to be done and thus my journey to what I called home once was my target. There he stood, my father, with that same dismissive expression he'd had my whole life. I hated him for it and somehow, I still do.

"Bloodshed!!" I cried out, knowing he'd hear me from his mountain peak.

"You disappoint me, boy." He bellowed back,"You think killing me will change what you are, who you were destined to be?! One day, you'll come to realize that all this ruin you've brought will be for naught. All because you'll be alone in a world you could've saved."

"You know nothing of my pain, Father! What I must endure within my inner sanctum to try and hold back!"

"You call this holding back?! You are weak, Feurl. Weak of spirit and weak of mind."

Those last words put me over the sane edge, forever detaching me from reality. My vision red, words turned to manic growling as I began my ferocious climb to the bastard.

I'd done it, finally. The white noise which flooded my senses had come to an end, the sweet sound of silence my only companion in my father's home. He lay lifeless beneath me, my blood soaked hands quivering in delight. This world had been purged of all impurities, all mistakes. All except one, that is. My puny existence still holds the world in danger and yet, I am afraid. Perhaps the quivering which now encapsulates my whole being is more than delight, may-haps even fear? My father's words began to scream in my head: "What is fear besides a thorn in the side of a man, Feurl? You were meant to take my place as protector, not cower in the corner waiting for the world to crumble around you! Either you stand now or your life ends instead."

"Well, look who's dead now, Father!" I thought to myself, glaring at his lifeless corpse, "You can't control me anymore!" I catch a glimpse of myself in Father's full-length mirror, my evil grin faltering. What have I become? This is not the man I wished to turn into when my purge began. Who... Who am I? Am I any better than those I chose to murder in cold blood? Am I any better than the volcano which melts innocent creatures upon erupting? Perhaps the answer is... I am the end of a new beginning.

My fingers fuse to daggers as I look myself in my reflection's eye and plunge my hands deep into my stomach. The instance of pain turned to numbness. Numbness turned to ragged breathing and the air around me, frigid. Frozen temperatures turned to darkness.

FIN.