Siblings

"Maiko?"
"Kyuko...?"
"You are... You're alive?! I saw you die! Back in the village when the samurai came to— No... You lead them to us. No one else would have known how to get home the way those fallen fools did... Oh my god..." My voice went shaky as a poor attempt of holding my tears was evident.
"Kyuko... This is a dog eat dog world. I did what I had to to eat the other dog and survive. Whatever they did, that was not in my control. I only instructed they raid the village, not slaughter our clan! If I had known-"
"Why, Maiko?! Why are you lying to me? There is one warrior I have yet to collect on. Their leader. Your height, carrying the sword we forged together as children. Please, just stop the charade!" My voice cracking, I could not hold back my emotions.
"...Very well. Yes, it was me. Are you happy, brother? Satisfied with finding the culprit? Those people were weak and I freed them of whatever was coming to that backwoods village anyway." Maiko calmly said, withdrawing 正義 (Justice) and inspecting it, "The feeling of this blade ripping through the flesh of those people was the most alive I had ever felt in all my life! I have zero regrets."
"Maiko... I fear this will be your last day amongst the living. I cannot believe I mourned you." I plainly said, fully withdrawing my katana.
"Then, I have no more words for you, brother."

We fought for hours, from dusk to dawn. Exhausted, Maiko collapsed to her knees. I had no strength left in my body either, falling flat on the patchy grass beneath me.
"So... Is this how our story ends... Maiko?"
She stayed silent for a moment, crawling close to me and rolling me over.

"I am unsure, baby brother. However, I have enough sense to believe so."
"You fight well... For a girl."
"And you, a loser."

We chuckled softly through our pain, fully accepting the extent of our injuries.
"Somehow, Maiko... I still find it in my heart... To forgive you. Regardless of what crimes you have committed..."
"If I could go back to when they made that offer... I think I would decline. I regret losing you, Kyuko."

Our blood began to soak into the dirt, mixing together. I turned to her as she did the same.

"I wish for you to be the last thing I see before death, お姉ちゃん."
"And I wish to say one last thing to you, 弟."

We held each other's hands as we used our final breath.
"愛してます"

"I love you."