Remembering

As I lean against the railing of my porch, cigarette in hand, I remember something—A bit of an old memory.

I'm about seven or eight. Dad and me are hiding from Mama out on this same porch for a surprise on their shared birthday. Boy, was she pissed when we came in and "scared her half to death"! I remember the smell that morning: The stench of the sea and morning dew greeted me with wide arms when Dad took me out there. We knew Mama wouldn't be up for a while so we watched the sunrise and he told me some valuable lessons.

"Kole." He started, "I'm sure you've heard about what's happening lately. No way you wouldn't. I'm not mad at you for listening. I just want to understand if you understand."
I looked at him how any kid would—with innocent and ignorant eyes.

"Mama and I, we... We've decided that we want different things. With that, it means you'll be seeing less of your old man. Should we never see each other again, I need you to keep this one promise with me, okay? Repeat after me."

Although the memory fades there and I forget his face, I somehow manage to mouth his words every time.

"I, Kole Macintosh, solemnly swear to be kind. To be safe. To cherish those I have met, and those I will soon meet. In honor of my father, in honor of my mother, I will never forget the ones that defined key moments in my life and will learn for better or worse."

Taking one last drag off my cigarette, I headed back into the apartment and watched the New Years ball drop.

Guess I'd have to quit smoking now, huh?