Chapter 18.

As serious and crazy being engaged at eighteen sounded, living it was another story. We agreed to stay engaged until twenty. We were young, not stupid. I had to be honest, knowing I was commited to someone this age really made things more exciting.

For normal people, they'd feel tied down or stuck. Like their lives were over. Stu and I well, we were living it up. He even started calling me missus Sutcliffe. Telling me I better get used to it. I even went as far as filling out registration papers for college in his last name. Call us crazy. But I was madly in love.
..

We spent Christmas going out to the cinema, visiting Dad and Sarah and bringing our gifts back to our apartment. We decided to open gifts at nine in the evening. Until then, we spent our time making love. We could never keep our hands off each other. Tiffany came by to give us a homewarming present. Which was just a plant and a few pastries her mom baked. 'Stu' and I, gave her a new purse and a few records we didn't want anymore. She was grateful and spent a few hours until she had to leave to be with Paul. I knew something was going on between the two. But she wouldn't kiss and tell. She also mentioned the band was taking time off and John wasn't quite himself.

Stu told her to tell John we said Merry Christmas from us. Even if it didn't mean anything to him. I asked her to give George my blue journal, only for his eyes to see. She agreed and kissed me goodbye.

I was happy when I got a new coat and a few clothes for Stu and I from Sarah. Dad of course gave us a toaster and an envelope with a little money to help us out. It may sound boring or simple to others. But the toaster, clothes and money was enough for us to go by. We weren't the richest pair of lovebirds.

Stu got me a used camera that looked a little scratched. But it worked nicely and was in perfect use. I got Stu some new art materials and nice frame for him to finally put up his award certificate from the college. It was a pretty small but loving Christmas. We had a good time and that's all that mattered.
....

January 4, 1959

I laid in bed late that Sunday night, staring at the ceiling and hearing Stu snore.

I began classes tomorrow. My new life. Stuart assured me I'd be fine and that it would be a fun experience. We could meet during passing classes and then in the cafeteria. But I was still nervous. I still didn't quit the diner. I would work only weekends. But it'd pay less money. Anything to still see Tiffany and figure a way for us to be together.

"You alright love?" Stu asked sleepily. I sighed and shook my head.

"I'm a little scared." I whispered. He pulled me into his arms, helping me relax. I shut my eyes and rested my forehead against his bare chest. He gave off a lot of heat and smelled good.

"You're goin to be great. I love you so much. Just know if it's not what it turns out to be...I'm just a few classes away. Just run out and come get me. We can run away together."

I giggled and kissed his chin. "I love you baby."

"I love ye too Moll. Let's get some rest."

I held onto him tightly and let the steady sound of his heartbeat set me to sleep.
....

I walked through the halls the next day, nervously holding Stu's hand. I was sad when the bell rang. But he showed me around and my classes. We kissed and parted ways. I was on my own, turning into my first class. I instantly recognized Cynthia sitting alone, fixing her books on her desk. I slowly walked over and took the seat beside her. She smiled when she saw me.

"Hi. Um, Molly right? Stu's girl?" She asked. I nodded.

"Yes. I just start classes today and to be honest. I'm more than a little nervous."