Welcome

"Sadie I'm sorry we had to meet under these circumstances. I'm sorry about your mom."

"Thanks I'm sorry about your dad."

He pulled a seat out at the empty squad table for her to sit, he was hoping to get a little time to talk before he took her into the house.

"Well he was your dad too..."

"He was no Dad to me, I hadn't seen him since I was 4...and I barely remember that."

Kelly took a deep breath, even in death Benny seemed to find way to disappoint him.

"I'm sorry, I know how he was unfortunately. So if you don't mind my asking, how did your mom pass?"

"Cancer, ovarian. Her passing was expected, but it still sucks. And then I had to leave the home I've known all my life to come to Chicago of all places."

"Where were you living?"

"Savannah, Georgia"

"I thought I heard an accent"
He joked with a smile, a small smile played on her lips.

Looking over Kelly's shoulder Sadie saw a woman with dark hair poke her head out of the double doors.

"I think someone is looking for you."

She pointed towards Stella

"Oh she is actually someone you need to meet. Come here babe!"

Stella walked over, a tight smile on her lips.

"Hi, who's this?"

"Stella, I would like for you to meet Sadie, my little sister that Benny failed to mention."

She chuckled "Leave it to Benny."

"Yeah, and I am now her legal guardian, she's going to be living with us."

"Oh uh... ok....Kelly can I speak with you please?"

They walked to the roll up doors, trying to get out of earshot of Sadie.

"Uh isn't this something we should have discussed...together? " Stella whisper yelled

"I'm sorry Stella but I didn't have much of a choice in this situation ok? I did what I thought was best."

"What are you talking about? She what? just fell in your lap?"

"Pretty much, it was this or-"

"-Or what Kelly?"

"Foster care...she would have been a ward of the state! Her mother died last week, she had no one!"

A look of remorse fell across Stella's face, she nervously smoothed down her hair.

"Kelly...I'm sorry...I...I'm sorry."

"It's ok Stella, it's just a shock. I understand if me doing this affects how you feel about our relationship but-" she pressed a hand to his lips

"Shut up Kelly, I am here for you. I promised I would not leave you. We can do this, together. I mean she's not a baby, she's almost grown."

They look to the squad table, where Sadie no longer sat.

"Uh...where did she go?" Stella walked towards the table

"Bathroom maybe?"

She went to check in the ladies room, not in there. Walking in the common room she glanced around.

"Uh anyone see a teenager come through here? Blonde?"

"No...what's goin on?" Herman asked, curious about the situation

"Uh long story, but first I have to find her."

She went back out the apparatus floor, meeting Kelly in the middle.

"Find her?"

"No...ok...let's try something. If you wanted some private time at the firehouse...where would you go?"

Stella asked, he thought for a moment before looking up.

...

Getting to the top of the ladder he saw Sadie sitting in one of the chairs himself and Matt sat in when they smoked cigars, she was crying.

"She's up here Stella" He yelled down

Making his way over she turned away from him.

"Hey...hey Sadie...what's wrong?"

About this time Stella walked up.

"Sadie please...I don't want to see you cry, come on."

"I'm already causing problems for you."

She finally choked out

"What? No! No you're not!"

Stella knelt down beside her, joining Kelly.

"You were arguing."

"No we weren't...well we were, but it's fine now. I'm sorry I acted in such a way, it just came as a bit of a shock. And it's before I found out what happened...to your Mom."

Stella brushed hair out of Sadie's face

"It's going to be ok, alright?"

Sadie nodded, wiping her nose with her sleeve.

"Ok, now how about let's get down from here huh? There are some people down there who are going to want to meet you."

Stella and Kelly wrapped her in a hug before they made their way back down the ladder, Kelly keeping a close eye on his sister making sure she didn't fall.

Kelly picked up her backpack before ushering her into the firehouse.

"Who's this?"

Joe walked up to them with a smile.

"Everyone I would like you to meet Sadie Severide, my sister. And you'll be seeing her quite often because shes going to be living with Me and Stella."

Everyone in the room seemed to come together in that one spot.
Sadie lost track but she received many hugs and welcomes. These people didnt know her, but they welcomed her like family.

All of a sudden a loud noise startled her.

"Truck 81, Engine 51, Squad 3, Ambulance 61. Structure fire. 131 North Ranier Avenue."

"Alright that's us, we'll be back ok? If you need anything there's some ladies upstairs in the office who can help you ok?"

Kelly told his sister as everyone rushed to get ready to go. She followed them to the apparatus floor and watched them load up. The sirens wailed as they pulled out and away from the firehouse.

After all the commotion the silence seemed deafening. She walked back in the common room, everything was where they left it, frozen in time.

She hadn't noticed a dog before, but a dalmatian pranced over to her, giving her a sniff before rolling over for belly rubs. Looking at her tags she read the name "Tuesday"