Foster

April went into the room with Sadie and wrapped her in a hug, holding the young girl as she cried. She eventually coaxed her back into bed where she gently placed the oxygen line back under her nose.

"April?"

"Yeah honey?"

She sat next to Sadie, brushing her hair out of her tear stained face.

"What's going to happen now?"

"I'm not sure, but you're strong, Sades. Everything will work itself out."

In the hall Carver once again approached Maggie

"When is she going to be released?"

Maggie had to compose herself before answering, she wanted to reach across the desk and wrap her hands around the woman's throat.

"We're keeping her overnight for observation."

"Ok, call me when she's ready to be released?"

An idea popped into Maggie's mind.

---------

Back at the apartment Kelly and Stella walked in, it felt odd not being trailed by Sadie.

"I'm going to go take a shower."

Kelly mumbled, making his way towards the bathroom.

Stella walked farther into the apartment and past Sadies open bedroom door, the lamp was still on beside her bed.

She walked in to turn it off, but found herself sitting on the side of the bed staring at the pictures Sadie had placed on her nightstand.

There was one of Sadie and her mom at the beach, next to it was one of her and Mari, then the last one was a goofy picture the three of them had taken on the night of her birthday party at Molly's.

Stella picked that picture up, running her thumb over Sadie's smiling face, a tear slipped down her nose. She didn't know how long she sat there, but next thing she knew Kelly was sitting down beside her.

A few tears escaped her eyes as she laid her head on his shoulder.

"I got a call from Ms. Carver, we need to get Sadies school bag and some clothes ready for her. She's going to pick them up from the firehouse tomorrow."

Kelly said flatly

"This woman is acting like she's rehoming a dog, not taking care of a child."

"Do we know where she's going? Who she's staying with?"

"No, she said she couldn't tell me. That it was protocol for the safety of the child."

Stella stood and looked in Sadie's closet for her suitcase. Finding it she began to fill it with clothes, making sure to pack Sadie's favorite CFD shirt and pj pants. She sat it on the bed to zip it closed, she looked over.

She grabbed the three photos and wrapped them in a blanket before packing them in the suitcase.

-----

The next morning Sadie was dressed in the clothes Carver had already picked up from the firestation, and she had just been discharged.

"You ready to go?"

Maggie asked, appearing in the doorway.

"Not really"

Katie mumbled

"We can get breakfast on the way to the house."

This caused Sadie to look at her in confusion.

"Huh?"

"I was a foster parent to a boy a few years back...and my certifications are still good sooo..."

She was surprised when Sadie wrapped her arms around her, relieved that she wasn't about to go stay with a stranger.