A House Divided (Part 3) | "He's been shot."

𝗮 𝗵𝗼𝘂𝘀𝗲 𝗱𝗶𝘃𝗶𝗱𝗲𝗱 | 𝗽𝗮𝗿𝘁 𝗶𝗶𝗶

~*•°' "𝗵𝗲'𝘀 𝗯𝗲𝗲𝗻 𝘀𝗵𝗼𝘁" '°•*~

BIRDS CAWED OVERHEAD as me, Clem and the rest of the cabin group headed north, towards the mountains

BIRDS CAWED OVERHEAD as me, Clem and the rest of the cabin group headed north, towards the mountains. The trees swayed in the chilly breeze, each step making it more and more obvious that we were heading towards snow. Clementine still had my jacket on from when we were in the woods with Christa, so I was stuck in my oversized shirt and extremely ripped jeans, the air floating through the holes and making goosebumps erupting all my skin.

Luke: Now, you said it was just up here?

Emma: Mhm. Should be just over there.

Walking up beside us, Rebecca looked at me and Clem.

Rebecca: Hey, you two… Sorry if I gave you some shit back there, I’m just a little on edge. It’s just a tough time right now, with the pregnancy and all. You two and Alvin can probably relate.

Clementine: It’s okay.

Emma: We’ve seen our fair share of stressful situations. Don’t worry.

Rebecca: If it’s not you two I’m yellin’ at lately, it’s Alvin, and then I’m in real trouble.

Clementine: Seriously, we can handle it.

Emma: Yeah, we’re not little kids. 

Rebecca: I felt the same way when I was your age. My dad was always giving me shit, and I always thought he didn’t know a damn thing. I know you both did your best back there. You know, none of us would make it on our own. Sometimes it’s hard knowing just how dependent I am on everyone. I’m not used to that. I’m not comfortable with that. I’m supposed to be a mom soon. Guess I need to work on my patience. Alvin and I still don’t know what to call her, or him, if that man gets his wish, God help me. Any ideas? Emma?

I had walked away halfway through her speech, heading into the clearing that Pete had last been in, leaving Clementine to shrug apologetically to Rebecca. All of us walked over the cigarette truck, the doors now shut and walkers having scattered.

Emma: That’s, uh, where we were…

Running over to the truck, Nick opened the truck doors, finding it completely empty.

Nick: He’s not in here!

Emma: He was here when he told me to run. This was the last place I saw him.

Alvin: Maybe he’s around here somewhere.

Carlos: Keep your eyes open. And stay in sight.

Everyone spread out in groups of at least two, across the clearing, searching in bushes and through the trees for any sign of Pete. Me and Clementine headed to the right, down a side gap in the brush, a trail of thick blood ran into the distance. I beckoned Clem closer, keeping her behind me as we followed the blood, seeing it turn behind a rock and then we saw him.

Nick: Pete!? Uncle Pete!?

Pete’s body lay, propped up against the lonely, jagged rock, stomach ripped open. His guts lay beside him, pooling blood around the grass, his hands sticky with crimson. One thing stood out from the body. A bullet wound. One shot in his forehead, and not one he could have made himself.

Nick: Oh, my God. What happened? What the hell happened!?

Carlos: He’s been shot.

Emma: But that doesn’t make any sense. He didn’t have a gun! So, that means…

Clementine: Someone else did this.

Beside me, Luke hugged a shocked Nick and Clementine wrapped her arm around my own, both of us needing the comfort.

Alvin: Son of a bitch…

Carlos: We need to go.

Luke: He’s gone, Nick. He’s– he’s gone. We gotta get movin’. Come on, man.

Everyone stood for a minute in silence, just to pay our respects to Pete, before we headed on our way. Away from whoever Carver was, and away from who killed Pete.

As we walked, Nick fell in step with me, eyes shimmering with tears he was too angry to spill.

Nick: Tell me. Tell me how it happened.

I looked at him, making sure he wanted to know. He gave a curt nod.

Emma: He said he wanted to see you. He wanted to say goodbye. But once the walkers surrounded us, he couldn’t move… He chose to save me.

Nick: God damn it, man… I mean… GOD DAMN IT!

Luke put a hand on his shoulder, calming him down.

Emma: I’m sorry, Nick.

The guy nodded and then sadly wandered to the back of the group.

Luke: I’m worried about that kid. Keep an eye on him for me, would you, you two? You… sure you still wanna come with us? Look, I know we got off to a rough start. And I can’t make any promises it won’t get rougher. But we all know you now. And we may not be perfect, but we look out for each other.

Clementine: Yeah, we’re with you guys.

Emma: Where else are we gonna go?

He chuckled, shaking his head.

Luke: Fair enough. We’re glad to have you.

Emma: Not everyone.

Clementine put a hand on my shoulder, giving me a stern look. I rolled my eyes and looked at my moving feet.

Luke: Well… they’ll get there.

He then brought out a map from his backpack, unrolling it and showing me and Clementine. Both of us peered over at it, seeing the small figures of landmarks that were coming up ahead.

Luke: I figure we got about four or five days to reach those mountains. Now, if they’re trackin’ us, we should be able to lose ‘em up there.

Rebecca: Five days?

Alvin: It’s gonna be okay, Bec.

Carlos: We have to keep moving now. It’s our only choice.

And we all headed further into the woods, further towards where we would end up.