Chapter 20

"Oh Yoohan, I'm talking to you," his elder brother says raising his voice a little and breaking Yoohan's chain of thoughts.

"I'm listening" he replies, still a little out of it. He has been trying his best to focus on work and learn everything fast so that his brother can catch a break. It has already been 6 months since he returned home.

"Time sure does fly" he sighs and gets back to work.

"Also mom wants to introduce you to everyone, now that you have decided to officially join the company. So, she is planning to throw a birthday party for you next week make sure you clear your schedule and I have already spoken to Joohaeng and Minjae so don't even think about using them as an excuse" Younghoon tells his younger brother who is already scowling at him.

"You can't do that to me" Yoohan protests.

"Yes I can and I just did. They will drag you here if they need to" Younghoon tells him and leaves the room.

Yoohan turns to the window once his brother leaves him alone. Seoul is still the same, he thinks to himself but still, it feels so unfamiliar. He stares out the window as if he is longing for something, his eyes following every person that crosses the road. Everyone looks small like an ant from his 10th-floor office window but still, he recognizes most of them as he has been observing them for months now. The old lady who comes to pick up her granddaughter from school at 4 pm every day and the college student who is always running to catch the last bus and the couple that always have the biggest smile on their faces as they walk hand in hand going home from work. All these people have become a part of his life indirectly as he waits for him to return.

" Sunwoo-ya, why am I so stupid?" He whispers, tears rolling down his cheeks.

*Flashback to their first date*

"I can't believe you cried" Sunwoo is teasing Yoohan ever since they got back from the first official date and Sunwoo asked Yoohan to be his boyfriend.

"I can't believe you didn't cry. You are heartless Choi Sunwoo" Yoohan stuffs another cookie in his mouth.
They are in Sunwoo's room. Yoohan is sitting between Sunwoo's legs, his head resting on his boyfriend's chest who is hugging him from behind. Sunwoo chuckles at Yoohan's words. He slowly leans and places a kiss on Yoohan's head.
"Thank you, for holding onto me. I love you" Sunwoo says resting his face on Yoohan's shoulder.

"ARE YOU DOING THIS INTENTIONALLY? YOU KNOW I WILL START CRYING AGAIN IF YOU SAY THIS DON'T YOU?" Yoohan shouts at Sunwoo who just hugs him tighter in response.

It's past midnight and Sunwoo's phone has been buzzing continuously. He finally wakes up to check who it is.
"Hello" he answers the phone still sleepy.

"What took you so long?" Hyemi shouts from the other side. She sounds panicked.
"Why? What's wrong?" he asks confused as he checks the time and it's 2:30 in the morning.
"You need to get back asap, mom is sick," Hyemi says.
"What?" he starts shaking as soon as Hyemi informs him about his mother having a heart attack.

"The doctor said it was a minor one so she is safe for now. The surgery went well but they still need to run some tests on her. She really wants to see you so come back and meet her before your exams start" Hyemi said and before Sunwoo could ask anything else a doctor calls her from behind and she hangs up.

Next Morning

"Didn't sleep well?" Yoohan asks kissing Sunwoo's cheek who is lying in bed eyes wide open. He looks like he cried all night but Yoohan doesn't want to pressure him so even though he wants to ask why he looks so sad he doesn't.
"Yoohan-aah" Sunwoo calls out and then breaks into tears. Yoohan holds him tightly and keeps whispering "It's ok". Once Sunwoo stops crying he tells Yoohan about his mom's condition.