CHAPTER 203- Basic Method

Hearing Eric's answer, Elisabeth rolled her eyes at him and said, "You... are really uncultured."

"What does this have to do with being uncultured?" Eric opened a can of beer and sat down on the sofa before he continued, "Should I be like you? Say that I liked the book then you mention some philosophy regarding life conveyed by the book and we begin discussing the book like fanatics?"

"Isn't that how it's supposed to be ?"

Eric smiled slightly and replied, "When you were in college, you must have often encountered such things, right?"

Elisabeth nodded honestly.

Julia, who was drinking her fruit juice, couldn't help but laugh. She became independent after graduating from high school. Although she did not have a high IQ and education like Elisabeth, she was better at seeing through people than Elisabeth who had lived a sheltered life.

Elisabeth was quite intelligent, but she was unable to understand the meaning behind Eric's words.

Faced by her puzzled gaze, Eric also laughed and explained, "As you are the second daughter of Rupert Murdoch, the boss of News Corporation, if a man wanted to get close to you, he would certainly show off his intellect and 'high cultural level' rather than his wealth or a successful career. So, most of the men who discussed philosophy with you had actually wanted to pick you up."

Learning the truth, Elisabeth was left dumbfounded with her mouth open.

Eric took a sip of his beer while leaning on the couch and spoke, as if reminiscing, "Speaking of which, I often used this basic method of picking up girls during my previous life."

"Bullshit!" Although Elisabeth realized that Eric was probably telling the truth, she was unwilling to believe it and said, "You think all men are nasty like you."

"Most men wouldn't mind being a little nasty if they could become the son-in-law of Rupert Murdoch."

Elisabeth retorted, unconvinced, "These... these are all just conjectures."

"I think you're just being blind to the truth," Eric didn't mean to quarrel with Elisabeth so he changed the topic and asked, "By the way, why did you two come here so late?"

Hearing his question, Julia's waist involuntarily straightened, an instinctive reaction whenever she feels nervous.

Elisabeth replied casually, "Since you are in Venice, we should hang out together. How about tomorrow?"

Eric thought about his schedule and nodded, "No problem, I'm free tomorrow."

Elisabeth originally thought Eric would need some convincing, so she was confused when he readily agreed. It was late at night in Venice and inappropriate for two women to stay in a man's room for too long, so after speaking a bit with him she took Julia, who never spoke a word, and left.

***

The next day, Andrei Smirnov, the chairman of the jury who had learned of Eric's arrival, invited him to have breakfast early in the morning. Although they needed the help of an interpreter to communicate, the two of them still had a good time.

After chatting in the restaurant until past nine o'clock, Andrei Smirnov had to reluctantly leave because of work.

After taking Alan to the agreed-upon dock, Eric discovered that Julia and Elisabeth had been waiting for a long time.

As soon as he arrived, Elisabeth complained to display her dissatisfaction, "Hey, Eric, you are really not punctual. How can you let two women wait so long for you?"