CHAPTER 204- Impossible

Although the boatman named Loviso was in his fifties indicated by his gray hair and beard, he had obviously never seen two women kissing. Seeing Elisabeth kiss Julia, he was left frozen for a long time before he burst out in laughter and gave a thumbs up to the two women, while loudly saying something to Eric gleefully.

Although Eric couldn't understand what the old man said, he could guess that the latter was gloating. He must have thought that Eric had been trying to court Julia only for Elisabeth to snatch her from him. In response to the old man, Eric could only smile in embarrassment as there was no way for him to explain the situation due to the language barriers.

However, the scene of the two women kissing under the Bridge of Sighs was indeed very beautiful. After being momentarily shocked, he pointed his camera at them and clicked quite a few images of them.

Similarly, Julia had been left wide-eyed from the sudden kiss. Feeling Elisabeth's arms around her waist and her thin red lips sucking on her own lips, she remained unresponsive for well over a dozen seconds when she heard the shutter sound of Eric's camera.

Suddenly, she came to her senses and pushed the woman who was holding her away, and yelled in protest, "Liz, you... how can you do this!"

Seeing Julia's blushing face, Elisabeth hugged her waist again and kissed her cheek. Then, she raised her head and said to Eric, arrogantly, "Eric, Julia is mine now. You better not bully her again."

"Liz, what nonsense are you saying!" Hearing Elisabeth's words, Julia became anxious and pinched her waist, causing Elisabeth to scream. The two continued fighting, causing the tiny gondola to sway around. Finally, the old boatman yelled at them to stop lest the gondola tip over.

***

The three spent the whole morning strolling along the Grand Canal and had lunch. Eric asked the local guide and took the water bus to a well-known Venetian mask shop.

"I don't like these things."

Walking into the storefront, Elisabeth looked at the variety of masks on the surrounding walls and said.

"Why?" Eric took off a golden mask without a mouth hole and asked while looking at it.

Elisabeth replied, "These masks are said to have been worn by the nobles who committed adultery and fugitives who smuggled themselves inside. They symbolize disguise and pretense."

"But doesn't everyone wear invisible masks to hide their true selves?"

Eric replied casually, put down the simple "Bota" mask, and picked up another white ghost mask painted with golden patterns which he put on Julia's face before continuing to look around.

Hearing Eric's reply, Elisabeth couldn't help but retort, ​​"Sure... everyone has a mask on but that's because they don't want to appear... naked in front of everyone."

"You are just getting entangled in the question of real and fake. In fact, it is hard to tell. Look, I'm not wearing a mask, but actually, I am, but in order not to be seen through, I won't tell others that I'm wearing a mask. But if someone is wearing a tangible mask, you can tell right away 'oh that guy is wearing a mask.' Honestly, those who put on tangible masks are more honest than those who mask their true feelings behind hypocritical smiles."

Elisabeth carefully pondered Eric's words. Although she had to agree that his words made sense, she still continued arguing, "You... you are changing the topic."

"Think whatever you want," Eric replied and then beckoned to the shopkeeper and asked, "Excuse me, do you speak English?"

"Of course," the forty-year-old shopkeeper with a mustache nodded and asked in fluent English, "Sir, which one do you like?"