Chapter 1

FLOWEY POV

Memories. Memories are really loud, aren't they? They almost drown out the deafening roar of the silence. Eh, maybe they aren't quite that loud. But they're close.

Huh. I never realized how much I craved the presence of others until they all left. Whether I was simply watching monsters go about their daily life from the shadows that I so easily blended into, or hanging about in the royal garden listening to that old fool I call my father ramble on about trivial things I took no interest in, I was always around people.

I never wanted friends. In fact, I always thought that I preferred being alone. But now, with everyone gone . . . I realize how much I thrived off of the lives of others. Maybe it has to do with the absence of my soul. Or, perhaps, I'm just a clingy flower who needs to get a life. It doesn't really matter, to be completely honest. All I know is, the Underground feels pretty empty when you're the only one in it.

It's been, what, three years now? Since monsters returned to the surface, that is. Maybe it's been four years. Maybe it's been four months. I've lost track of time. You stop counting the days once you realize you have no reason to. In the time since the monsters have been gone, I've explored every inch of the Underground, something I was never able to do when monsters still lived here. Talking flowers get a lot of strange looks, you know. And I hate to be looked at. That's why I preferred to stay in the shadows, or in the earth, most of the time. But now that everyone's gone, I can roam as I please. And believe me, I sure have. I've rummaged through people's homes. I've raided every shop in the Underground. It's not like anyone is here to stop me. And it's not like I have anything better to do.

Eventually, I had traversed the entire Underground. There's nothing left for me to see at this point. I've seen it all. So, what do I do now? I'm not gonna lie, I've been tempted to reset on more than one occasion. But ever since that day I became Asriel, I just can't bring myself to do it anymore. Even though I once again lack the ability to feel emotion, the memories of how it felt are still fresh in my mind. And I know that everyone is finally happy in this timeline. I'm not the same person I used to be. I can at least spare a little sympathy nowadays, and let the monsters enjoy their perfect lives. Even if I don't get to enjoy the same happy ending.

All I'm left with now are the memories. Every. Single. One. From every timeline. From every reset. They're all still here, stuck in my mind. I've tried to forget, but I've found that the more you block out the memories, the more they clutter your thoughts. Kind of counterintuitive, but that's just the way the world works, I suppose.

I've found myself spending a lot of time in Waterfall recently. In fact, I hardly leave the place anymore. The sound of rushing water is a lot better than silence. I never really visited Waterfall when everyone was still here, but now the atmosphere of this place is the only thing really keeping me sane. I talk to the echo flowers on occasion, amusing myself with the sound of my own voice being reverberated back at me. At least by talking to the flowers, I help them fulfill their purpose in life.

What am I thinking? They're just flowers. And not the sentient kind either, such as myself. They don't need to feel fulfilled. They can't feel anything. They're empty. They have no soul. They're just empty, soulless flowers. Man, what losers. Being an empty, soulless flower must really suck. I wonder what that's like.

But. . . maybe, just maybe, empty, soulless flowers have a purpose too. Doesn't everyone have a purpose? I mean, that's what my mother would always say. But who cares about her anymore? She's living it up on the surface with her new child. She's already forgotten about me. They all have. I have no purpose. I'm just an empty, soulless flower, desperately searching for a reason to live.