Chapter 5

FLOWEY POV

Did I seriously just tell that human that I have skeletons in my closet? What is wrong with me? You know what, don't answer that question. There is a lot wrong with me.

So . . . there's a human here now. Of all the things I might've expected coming here to New Home, the event that something like this wold happen didn't cross my mind once. To be completely honest, I have no idea what to do now. I was planning to leave and go back to the ruins for a while to wait out this human's stay, but since they insisted I stick around, I'm not sure what my next action should be.

"Er- so you're a flower," the human said, their voice edged with a nervous tone. "I didn't know flowers could, uh, talk. And have a face."

Sigh. This is always the first thing someone says when they meet me. Never a "what do you do for a living?" or "the weather sure is nice today". They always just point out the obvious. I normally get ticked off and tell whoever asks the question that I'm just a monster like the rest of them, but I'll admit I've taken a bit of a liking to this human. For some reason, something about them reminds me . . . a bit of myself. At least, the part of me that isn't a maniacal serial killer. And, since I decided years ago that I would be a better person now, I think I'm just going to tell them the truth.

"I used to just be a normal, golden flower," I tell the human. "But a scientist decided to use me for an experiment."

The human's eyes gloss over with what looks like. . . fear? Pity? Maybe even a bit of understanding? I can't quite put my finger (er- leaf) on what it is. But it's not a bad look. In all actuality, it's actually a pretty nice look. So I continue.

"There's a lot of sciency stuff involved that I'm not gonna go into depth over," I say, "so I'll just give you the jist of what happened."
The human nods their head, giving me the signal to continue. I was gonna keep talking anyway, but whatever.

"The scientist injected me with a sort of serum while I was still just a normal, lifeless flower. And, before I knew it, I was alive, for real. I could think things, and move around as I pleased."

"That's amazing!" the human exclaimed, their eyes huge with awe. "To think you can just- bring something to life just like that! That's so cool!"

Heh, this human is the type to get overly-excited about things, huh? I guess I don't mind it.

"Yeah," I say, grinning. "It really is."

But it's not. If I would've just stayed like that, stayed as a normal, lifeless flower, no one would have had to die by my hands. If Asriel would've just stayed dead, no one would've had to sit by and watched as I killed their family, murdered their children right before their eyes just to see their reaction.
"What was it like before you came to life?" the human asks, jolting me back to reality.

"Oh, you mean while I was still a normal flower? I don't remember, to be honest. I didn't have a conscious mind back then."

"Ah, I see," they reply, seemingly satisfied with my answer.

I need to stop dwelling on the past. I'm not the same person I used to be, I know that. I know that all those timelines where I killed people are gone now. But still, I just can't forget. I can't forget the looks in their eyes as I took their lives. The shock; the fear; it's almost as if it all happened yesterday. And it feels like with just a click of a button, it could all happen again. Like at any moment, my mind will reset, and I'll become the same person I was before. I'd lash out at this human before me with my vines, pulling them off the ground, strangling them, pelting bullets at their face until the ground is covered in a pool of blood, watching as they writhe in pain, tears streaming down their face, while I sit by and laugh-

"Hey, Flowey?" the human interjected, ripping me out of the horrible nightmare my mind created. "Are you alright? You- you're crying."
I am? I reach a leaf up to my face, and find that the human was right. Tears were running down my cheeks, pooling in my lower petals.

"I-I'm alright," I stammered, still flustered after my daydream. I can't believe I let my mind wander so far. I promised myself, I promised, that I would stop thinking about it-

"Hey, hey, it's alright," the human whispered, crouching down to my level. Before I could even react, they wrapped their arms around my stem.

That feels. . . really nice. I haven't felt the touch of another living being in- well, I've lost count of how many years.

This human. . . they're just like Asriel. They have the same warm soul. They have the same soft, comforting voice. They're exactly what I wish I was.

"It's alright, Flowey."

No, it's not. . .

"It's alright. I don't know what you're going through, but I'm here for you. And I'll stay with you for as long as you'd like."

Stay? Yes, that sounds nice. Stay with me. Stay with me! Don't leave me!

Before I knew it, my eyes were damp again, and all I could do was sit back and watch as my tears dropped one by one onto the human's shoulders.