Chapter 8

Y/N POV

You follow the little yellow flower as he leads you out of the corridor, which Flowey had told you was called "Judgment Hall." Upon leaving Judgment Hall, you find yourself outside for the first time in the Underground. The lighting makes it seem like what mid-day looks like on the surface, although there was no sun; it looked like all the light came from the bright, glowing crystals that hung from the ceiling, which was probably around 1,000 feet above you. This place really is huge. I didn't expect it to be so. . . wide open.

As if he had read your thoughts, Flowey glances up at you. "Apparently, the Underground is one of the largest cave systems in the world," he explains. "Though, you probably already learned that in school or something."

You shake your head. "I didn't go to school," you say to him.

He stares at you in shock. "Really? I thought it was illegal to not attend school past a certain age up there," he says.

You shrug in response. "My parents were never the type to follow the law," you say vaguely. Although you trusted Flowey, you weren't quite ready to go into depth about your old life yet.

Flowey blinks at you, baffled, but shrugs (or, whatever the flower equivalent of a shrug is), and makes his way to an elevator that's imbedded in the wall a couple of feet in front of you.

You follow him to it, stopping in your tracks when you glance to the left and notice that there was a long, sandy path that way, stretching over a large, empty cavern like a bridge. "Where does that lead?" you ask your guide.

"Nowhere special," he responds, his eyes fixed on the elevator. "It's just a dead end.

"Oh."

Flowey reaches a vine out of the vine and pushes a fairly big, round button that was mounted beside the elevator. At that, the elevator doors whizzed open, and Flowey unroots himself from the earth, walking inside. With one last glance at the path, you follow him in, making a mental note to yourself to go down that path someday. Even if Flowey said it wasn't important, something deep inside of you felt it was. You weren't sure why, but you felt that there was something special waiting for you at the end of that path.

Nonetheless, you wanted to respect Flowey, so you continue to let him guide you through the Underground. It was the least you could do to repay him for his kindness.

The elevator ride was quite a long one. On the way down, you occupy your mind with thoughts of your old life. I wonder what Mom and Dad are doing now. Have they noticed I'm gone yet? You remember that your grandmother had intended to have dinner with your family the night that you ran away from home. Usually Mom will come to my room and get me when Grandma comes over. So I bet she did, and now she knows I'm gone. A prick of anxiety sparks in your chest, but you quickly dispel it, telling yourself that you were safe now. There's no way she'll find me here. I doubt she'll even look for me.

Before you could give it any more thought, the elevator began to slow down, and then came to an abrupt halt, the doors pulling themselves apart to reveal a brightly lit hallway. The hallway was lined with red pipes, the walls themselves a deep shade of blue with strange wires set along them.

Flowey walks out of the elevator, and you follow. As the elevator doors close behind you, Flowey looks up at you, his eyes glistening with an emotion you couldn't quite place.

"Welcome to the CORE."