Chapter 10

Y/N POV

Seeing Flowey so vulnerable made you realize how lucky both of you really were to have met one another. You weren't sure why he was so sad, or what had caused his sudden acceptance of your sympathy, but you knew that something was very wrong with this little flower. And now, after seeing just how broken his spirit was, you were determined to help him out of whatever was weighing him down.

Well, at least you were determined to try. If you were being honest with yourself, you would admit that your mental health wasn't much better off than Flowey's. You'd read books about mental health at the library back in your hometown the few times your mother had let you go; you knew how detrimental trauma was to a person's mind. And you knew that you had a lot of trauma yourself, what with all of the abuse your mother put you through during the entirety of your life up until this point. You weren't entirely sure your mind was stable enough to be able to take care of yourself, much less your new friend. Despite this, however, you were gonna try. After all, you couldn't just let him suffer.

Little by little, you were going to find out what was hurting this little flower so much, and you were going to put an end to it.

"It's getting dark out," Flowey commented as the two of you stepped out of the entrance to the CORE and onto what looked to be a platform, which stretched across a chasm that you could see no end to.

You glanced up at the magic crystals which lined the ceiling of the Underground, and saw that they were significantly dimmer than they were before you entered the CORE earlier.

"How does time work in the Underground anyway?" you asked, curious.

"When the monsters were first banished to the Underground, King Asgore created a series of magic crystals to simulate the daylight cycle on the surface," Flowey explained. "They're timed to become bright when the sun rises on the surface, and dark after the sun sets."

"That's so cool!" you exclaimed. "Magic really is amazing. Most humans don't know how to use it anymore."

"That's probably a good thing," Flowey remarked, leading the way across a long bridge, which you could see ended at a fairly large building. "After all, magic-wielding humans are the reason we were stuck down here for so long in the first place."

You nodded grimly in response. "Humans can be really awful sometimes."

Upon looking down at Flowey, you noticed a strange expression cross his face. It was the same one you had noticed several times throughout your journey so far. Does that expression have something to do with Flowey's trauma? You decided not to ask about it yet, as he seemed to be in a fragile mindset at the moment, and you didn't want to possibly awaken any bad memories.

As soon as you noticed the expression, it was gone anyway, and the two of you fell silent as you walked together across the bridge. Before too long, you had arrived at the building, which you could now guess was a hotel.

"This is the MTT hotel," Flowey said, confirming your guess as the two of you entered through a set of automatic glass doors.

The hotel lobby was a bit on the small side. Well, it was probably a decently-sized lobby, but most of the space was taken up by the huge statue in the center, which spewed out water that didn't quite make it into the basin at the base.

Flowey shot a ticked-off grimace at the statue. "That's Mettaton, the star of the Underground," he said, his voice clearly laced with annoyance. "Everybody loves him, apparently, but I can't stand the guy."

"Why's that?" you asked. This was the first time you'd seen him genuinely irritated- it was slightly off-putting.

"He's arrogant, to say the least," he muttered. "Selfish, pompous and rude to say a little more."

Wow, Flowey does NOT like this guy.

"And, to top it all off, he's Alphys' favorite. She always gave him so much attention! And I-"

He cut himself off, a horrified look crossing his face.

"Nevermind," he huffed briskly, turning away from you and leading the way to a hallway on the right. "Let's just find a place to sleep."

At a loss for words, you followed Flowey across the lobby. It was as if his mood had done a complete 180; seemingly unprovoked, too. The emotions Flowey directed at this robot, Mettaton, seemed so genuinely angry. To be completely honest, you were a little frightened. You never expected to see Flowey act this way, especially not so suddenly.

You trailed slightly behind Flowey as the two of you entered the hallway, which you could now see was lined with several doors on each side that you assumed led to hotel rooms. Flowey stepped up the the first door on the left, and before you could react, a huge vine burst through the carpet, exposing the foundation of the hotel, as well as the soil underneath.

You gasped in surprise, stepping back and watching in stunned silence as Flowey used the vine to twist open the doorknob and push open the door, retracting the vine back into the earth afterwards, leaving a gaping hole in the floor of the hotel.

"Flowey!" you burst out, your eyes wide in shock. "Why did you do that? You ruined the floor!"
He simply shrugged in response as he walked into the hotel room, which you tentatively followed him into. "Nobody is gonna be staying here again other than us, so why care to keep it prim and tidy?"

"I guess you're right," you replied shakily, still in shock from Flowey's outburst.

The hotel room was quite small, and most of the space was filled with the large bed in the center of the room. The only other furniture in the room was the two nightstands that stood on either side of the bed. To the left of the entrance, there was a door that you guessed led to a bathroom.

"You should rest up," Flowey advised you, gesturing with his leaves to the bed. "We've got a long journey ahead of us tomorrow."
You obeyed and climbed onto the bed, your arms shaking slightly. Crawling under the covers, you shut your eyes and did your best to fall asleep. However, all of the excitement of the day, as well as a prick of anxiety, was still energizing you, and your mind refused to sleep. You sighed slightly, rolling over to face the ceiling. You opened your eyes and were greeted by darkness; apparently Flowey had turned out the lights.

"Y/n, are you awake?"

You jump a little at the voice, startled. "Yeah, I can't fall asleep."

You could hear shuffling on the floor, and when Flowey spoke again a few moments later his voice was much closer than before.

"I- I'm, uh, sorry for earlier," he apologized, his voice soft in comparison to his sharp attitude from before. "I was reminded of something from my past that I would've rather forgotten, and it upset me. I didn't mean to take it out on you. I'm really sorry, Y/n."

"It's alright, Flowey," you replied gently. "I know you didn't mean it. I understand how you feel. Some things are just better forgotten, right?"

"Yeah," he sighed. "I'm glad someone else feels the same."

A moment of silence passed between the two of you, until Flowey spoke up again a few seconds later. "Hey Y/n?"

"Yeah, Flowey?"

"Thanks for being my friend."

You fell asleep a few moments afterwards, relaxed now that you knew Flowey had gotten out all of his negative emotions.

When you woke up in the morning, Flowey was sleeping beside you, his leaves wrapped around your arm in a hug. You smiled, and closed your eyes again, savoring the moment. You could get used to living with this little flower.

A/N

I am so sorry for taking so long to update!! I was low on motivation, and also really busy with a lot of life stuff, so I took a small break from writing. But I'm back now, and hopefully back to writing at least a chapter a week!