Chapter 8

𝟷𝟷. 𝙵𝚎𝚋𝚛𝚞𝚊𝚛𝚢 𝟷𝟿𝟻𝟼

Outside of work, Rose Everly did have a life. She had friends she loved, and family that cared. She had people around her who looked after her, so that was why Rose was so confused. When a dangerous man entered her life, why did she feel longing when he was away?

     After Riff's regular visits, Rose knew they would end. She'd been warned by the man that he would be busy for a few days. Even so, she was upset. Rose would never admit it, but she was.

    So, for the passing three days, Rose was forced to work beside Susan with no hope of Riff returning. Her co-worker was partly resentful as of the Everly girls odd friendship with the Jets leader. At least she wasn't talked at as much anymore. That was the only positive that came from Riff's departure.

     Through the day, very little happened. However, there was the smallest fraction of hope inside of Rose that Riff might turn up. She wanted him too, or at least, she thought she wanted him too. It was difficult to work out if she liked talking to him, or if she liked the attention he gave her. But only time could tell her. She'd never know if he never turned up again. Would she?

     Darkness fell around seven, but the post office closed at eight. Susan only worked until twelve for half of the week, so Rose had been left to close up shop. As she did, standing in the cold, she felt a tap on her shoulder.

    Rose's stomach dropped.

    She gulped, turning to face whatever had touched her shoulder. A sense of relief washed over her as her eyes ran over a familiar face. A tall man with boney features and blue eyes.

  "Hey lil' darlin'." Riff smirked, and a wide smile crossed Rose's face. She would've tried to hide it, but there was no point. He was back. "Did you miss me?"

  The Everly girl half nodded. "Maybe."

  "Well, then, maybe you'll let me walk you home." The brunette boy said, in a sort of amused tone. "A pretty girl like you shouldn't be walking home alone in the dark."

  "Thank you." Smiled Rose as she pulled her jacket to cover her body a little more. "That's very kind."

    The two walked side by side down the streets of Manhattan, a comfortable silence most of the way. At one point, Riff offered his arm, and swiftly, Rose took it. The consequences weren't in her mind, but she was happy to link her body with his.

    This was the second time their skin had ever touched- but this was the first time that it had ever mattered. Despite the air being cold, there was a hotness between the pair. Goosebumps laced Rose's skin within seconds, and her face flushed scarlet. Luckily the street lights were dim, but every so often, Riff glanced her way and saw the pinkness of her cheeks.

     Every so often, Rose gave directions when she found Riff to be wandering in the wrong direction. Apart from that, it was silent until they arrived close to her home.

     "This is me." Rose gestured to the apartment block, with a small smile.

  "Right." Nodded Riff, vacantly. "I sort of forgot you'd have to go."

  Looking up to the tall boy with large, dark eyes, the Everly girl offered a grin. "I have to. I'm sorry."

   Their eyes were that way for a short moment. There was an intenseness to their shared gaze. Something spread throughout Rose that she'd never felt before.

   The girl moved to release herself from the gang member, almost reluctantly. Riff's hand caught hers.

    Before she knew what was happening, the brunette boy began to lean in. His face was so very close to hers, their breath mingling. It was only when Riff leant in further that Rose moved away.

     Her face felt hot. The Everly girl rested her head upon Riff's shoulder, afraid of him seeing her that way. Embarrassed.

    "You don't even know my last name." She told him, the smile in her voice evident.

  "Do I need to?" Riff questioned, confused, as he used his fingers to lift Rose's chin. He wanted to see her eyes again, properly. He wanted to reminisce in their beauty. "This is America!"

  "It's because this is America that you need to know my name." The girl insisted, shying away to the boys touch. This was the most intimate she'd ever been with a man, and something about that made her nervous.

     Riff was making her nervous.

     "Tell me, then..." trailed Riff as he let a finger trace her jaw. Her eyes never left his. "What is your last name?"

  "Everly."

  The boy smiled. "Rose Everly... it's sorta beautiful."

  "Thank you." She blushed, adrenaline coursing through her veins.

  "Riff Lorton." Admitted he, causing her to grin. "But you can't go telling people that, alright lil' darlin'?"

  "Okay." Rose nodded, completely entranced by the man in front of her.

     Riff Lorton.

     What a wonderful name. What a wonderful name for a man just as wonderful. He was so intriguing, and intoxicating, and not what she ever expected.

     "Well then, Miss Everly," said Riff, softly. "I'll say goodnight."

     At that, he kissed her forehead, tenderly. His lips, though slightly chapped, made Rose shiver.

     That was when she first knew Riff was going to be important.

•  -  -  •
972
•  -  -  •

Disclaimer!!!
I do not own West Side Story or the characters originally from the book, play, or musical. I do not own Riff, or any events from the 2021 film that this book is based off. However, I do own Rose, her friends, family, and her relationship with Riff prior to the film.
All of this is purely fictional, anything that relates to real life is purely coincidence.