Chapter 14

𝟺. 𝙼𝚊𝚢 𝟷𝟿𝟻𝟼

It started at the beginning of May, the attempted removal of the Jets. It was a similar situation to when the Egyptian Kings attempted to fight them, the same as when Tony almost killed a man.

     Riff kept Rose up to date with everything, just as she asked. Furthering his promise, he told her the past. Despite not being as specific as she might've liked, Rose appreciated his efforts, just as she appreciated him.

    It was off for her to see Riff in such a stressed state, but she knew it was for good reason. This was his first time leading the Jets in a significant battle without Tony. The two boys had started the gang together, and alone, he felt a little lost.

    Rose would help. She had offered one before, but was shut down immediately. Apparently, her safety was more than enough to clear his mind. The Everly girl knew better than that. She had three older brothers, she knew how they worked. She knew that Riff was trying to make her feel better.

     It didn't make Rose feel any better, however. It couldn't. Riff was in danger, and maybe, one day, she would be too because of it.

     Their strolls continued, despite the threat. Riff assured her that she was safe, and she believed him. There wasn't a day that had gone by in so many months that Rose didn't believe Riff. He'd no reason to lie to her.

𝟽. 𝙼𝚊𝚢 𝟷𝟿𝟻𝟼

Rose had been on her way to work on this particular day, to Riff's complaints. The night before she'd been informed of The Emerald's strength and power growing, and that walking alone probably wasn't the best idea. The Everly girl was having none of it.

    She trusted Riff's words, but that wouldn't stop her from going to work. She needed to be there, unfortunately. It wasn't as if the Jets leader would take the time away from plotting to walk her everywhere she needed to be; it was impractical.

     So in the spring air, Rose stepped lightly down the concrete streets. She didn't mind it, not really. Her only reluctance was that she would have to be around Susan Southall and listen to whatever gossip she'd come up with. Of course, it would be painful.

     However, Rose didn't make it to the post office.

     Some way through the journey, a man with a green shirt ran past her. His legs were quick, as if he was running from someone, or something, and escape. As he did, he knocked Rose to the ground.

    Due to the fact it was unexpected, the Everly girl fell with a yelp. That attracted his attention, however unwanted.

     His hands were clammy, and gross, as he threw her from the concrete against the wall. Rose stopped, stiff in her spot, as the man with red hair looked her up and down.

  "You're a Jet girl, aren't you?" His accent was thick, Irish. He must've been an Emerald. That complicated things a little bit- especially if he knew who she was. "Seen ya 'round with that Riff, guy."

  "Riff?" Rose scoffed, attempting to move the man away from her. "I don't know anyone called Riff."

  "'Course ya do. There's no point lying, doll." Internally, Rose gagged. She'd often hated nicknames, and thought Riff was the exception, that didn't make the idea any less horrific. This one was hideous. "I know who ya are. They're not 'ere to protect ya now."