Chapter 29

𝟷𝟸. 𝙹𝚊𝚗𝚞𝚊𝚛𝚢 𝟷𝟿𝟻𝟽

It wasn't often that Riff felt as if the world was at peace. He had moved most of his life, and kept himself out of the shadows. Surely, it was his only way to survive.

    A gang member, the leader of said gang, the Lorton boy never thought he would be able to settle. Truthfully, he never thought love would be an option, but there it was. It came to him out of nowhere- she did. Several times, in fact. Bumping into him in all sorts of places, it was impossible to forget how it was she looked.

    Of course, there was more to his lil' darlin' than just her face, but with an opening appearance, she was striking. Rose's mind and aptitude was head and tales above the rest of the world, yet, she was unspoken for.

     Without sounding too much like a Shakespearean tragedy, not that Riff had read any of them, he had known from the moment that he and Rose had met that she was the one for him. She had never been frightened of him, or the things he had done.

     There had never been a more perfect match, and because of that, there came an unparalleled sense of knowing. Rose Everly knew Riff Lorton like the back of her hand. Every freckle and every scar was a part of her soul, just as much as it was his body.

     And just as she had learned his body, his mind, and his soul, Rose knew exactly how to spend such a momentous day. This was the first birthday of Riff's that they would be sharing together, and celebrating as if there was no tomorrow.

     However, nothing went as planned, as often things seemed to do. The Everly girl had wanted to make breakfast, though found herself alone upon waking up. After spending her free day attempting to track her boyfriend down, she bestowed upon him a special lunch and a precious peck to his cheek, wiping away some of the smeared dirt on his face.

     "You left this morning without saying goodbye." She mumbled, her dark eyes matching his light ones. "I was worried."

  "Then I won't do it again." He promised, never letting his gaze faulted as his hands pulled her closer. "You don't need t'worry 'bout me, Rosie."

  "I'm always going to worry." Her lips upturned. "You know that."

  "I do."

     One of the Lorton boy's hands slipped beneath Rose's chin, levelling their eyesight as much as possible. "I know." He ducked his head, pressing his lips to hers in a firm and quiet passion, uncaring for whatever looks fell their way.

     A true presentation of love and desire if ever there was one.

     "Happy Birthday, love." Her hand caressed his face gently, and upon feeling his lean into the touch, he kissed the palm of her hand.

  "And don't I know it."

𝟷𝟿. 𝙹𝚊𝚗𝚞𝚊𝚛𝚢 𝟷𝟿𝟻𝟽

It wasn't often that Riff decided to cook, but when he did, the most delicious food was made. A week after his birthday, the Jet found himself in Rose's apartment, which was practically his anyway, without her.

The girl was at work, in the post office, being pestered as she always happened to be. Susan Southall was a nuisance, spreading mindless gossip, a lot of which now seemed to include Rose and Riff. It was scandalous, apparently, though there was nothing remotely special enough about the Everly girl for it to be considered so. Even more so, Allen was still pestering her. Riff's menacing gaze hadn't been enough to frighten him away for too long.