Chapter 19

𝟹𝟶. 𝙹𝚞𝚗𝚎 𝟷𝟿𝟻𝟼

Laughter filled the Everly household like never before as the siblings were reunited for the first time in months. Though there was a slight air of nervousness coming from the youngest, it didn't matter at all. Instead, she found solace in the fact her family was back together.

     Her nervousness came from a noble place: she was going to introduce Riff to her brothers. It might not have been the smartest idea, but it needed to happen. If she loved him like she said she did, then he would have to meet her family at some point.

    Rose was having a great time, catching up with her brothers face to face as she waited for the doorbell to ring. When it did, glee overcame her.

     She rushed to the door, and opened it with a smile. To her surprise, she saw Riff dressed in a proper shirt. Not the type for work, or for dancing, a proper shirt. He must've wanted to make some sort of impression.

  "Hey."

  Placing a light kiss upon her lips, afraid to tread through the doorway, he replied. "Hey, Rosie..."

  "Are you ready?"

  "I'm always ready." The Lorton boy protested, playfully. "I'm a Jet."

  "Well, don't tell them that." The girl gestured to the boys stood not too far from her. "I've said a lot of good stuff about you, so you just have to be nice."

  He shrugged. "I can be nice."

  "And smile." She reached up to his face, and caressed his cheek with the side of her thumb. At that, he did as she'd asked. He looked beautiful.

     The tall, skinny boy took a deep breath. He'd never met anyone's family before. Riff and Rose hadn't been together very long, if not, they weren't official at all yet. Well, that depended on what official meant.

    The whole of the west side knew that she was with the leader of the Jets. Everyone knew that he was to be feared. Everyone knew that Rose Everly was off limits.

     Wasn't that official?

     There were three boys that the gang member was going to be introduced to. The eldest was blonde, with dark eyes. The second was of average height and weight, with the third being the tallest with piercing grey eyes.

  "This is Riff." Rose gestured to the skinny boy beside her as she introduced him.

  The blonde stepped forwards, sticking out his hand, which Riff took immediately. "Michael."

  "Mikey." Corrected the girl. "No one calls him Michael. He's Mikey."

  "I was trying to be intimidating." The blonde furrowed his brows with a pouting lip.

  She tapped his cheek, playfully. "You've not been intimidating a day in your life."

  The average looking brother then took his place, barging Mikey out of the way in the process. "Joe."

  "Riff."

  "Weird name, man." He raised his eyebrows, and Rose quickly frowned when she felt the boy in question tense.

  "He's only joking." She whispered.

  "I know." He relied, in much the same manner.

  Then the tallest of the three came forth. He grasped Riff's hands in his own quite suddenly, and shook them with vigour. "I'm Danny. My sister seems to really like you, so you better not hurt her." Then, seriously, his entire mood changing, he stated. "I own a gun."

  "He's kidding." Rose distracted.

  Danny shook his head. "I'm not kidding."

  "Well that got dark." Mikey blew air through his nose.

     It was safe to say that Riff was going to have his work cut out for him, but he knew that it would be worth it. Rose was always worth it.

𝟷. 𝙹𝚞𝚕𝚢 𝟷𝟿𝟻𝟼

It was late at night, and all three of the Everly brothers had gone to sleep. Rose had been sat in her room for quite some time, tired and lonely. Riff hadn't been in sight today, and she felt alone.

     She sat upon her bed, book in hand (it didn't matter which one, she enjoyed them all). For a reason unknown, she was tired. Something was keeping her awake, and all of the hot chocolates in the world wouldn't change it. So, instead of fighting the insomnia, she lay into it.

    This was comforting, at least.

    Tap. Tap. Tap.

    The noise came from her window, and Rose quickly shot to her feet with disregard for the book. Swiftly, she unlocked the latch, and Riff, who had sat there impatiently, clambered in. When the chill stopped, he kissed her forehead lightly.

  "Where've you been?" The Everly girl asked, softly, craving his touch. "I've missed you."

  "I missed you too, Rosie." Riff leant his head upon hers, breathing quietly.

  "Then why weren't you here?"

  Breathing slowly, matching hers, Riff replied. "I thought you'd want the day with your brothers."

  "For a while." She shrugged. "But then I just wanted you beside me."

  Bringing her body closer to his, he kissed her softly, slowly. "Well, aren't you lovely?"

  "I'm lovely?"

  "Yeah. Course you are."

  "Then what are you?"

  "A rebel? Handsome?"

  "Willing to stay the night?" Rose raised her eyebrows, and held her breath.

  "What got into you?" Riff kissed her cheek, and then the space beneath her ear. With confidence, his lips trailed down her arm, until they reached her knuckles.

  "Nothing. You know that I love you, and all i want is to be with you."

𝟹. 𝙹𝚞𝚕𝚢 𝟷𝟿𝟻𝟼

When it finally came time for the Everly brothers to leave Rose's apartment, she was sad. However, she was happy for them to have all gotten back together again. Even more so, Rose was happy that Riff had met them.

    Her two worlds had collided. There was no other thing she could've been glazer for. Finally, things seemed to be on the right track.

• - - •
1025
• - - •

Disclaimer!!!
I do not own West Side Story or the characters originally from the book, play, or musical. I do not own Riff, or any events from the 2021 film that this book is based off. However, I do own Rose, her friends, family, and her relationship with Riff prior to the film.
All of this is purely fictional, anything that relates to real life is purely coincidence.