Chapter 35

𝟹. 𝙼𝚊𝚢 𝟷𝟿𝟻𝟽

Rose had only ever been to one dance with the Jets before in her life, and it was amazing. She had never felt something that made her feel so alive. When she felt her body so close to Riff's, so magnetised by the strength and bond between the two of them.

If this was going to be another night like that, then Rose couldn't wait. It could only get better.

Just like last time, it was in the school hall and the Jets were out to impress. They always looked as fly as a gang could, especially when it came to dancing.

Rose was in a blue dress, one that matched Riff's shirt to a tee. He had said more times than she could remember how much he loved the colour on her. After which, there were a few remarks some would consider crude. But that was the gist of it.

When they arrived, he had held the door open for her. The music was loud, frighteningly so. Everything was bustling and intense. But it was so very beautiful, and she wanted to be apart of it, and there was no better time than when she was surrounded by her friends.

They were the best dancers by far, taking up almost the whole floor for their large collective. Rose and Riff were in the middle, showing off. It wasn't how she usually was, but these nights brought out a new part of her personality. Riff always seemed to bring out that part.

Then they noticed that Puerto Rican's had arrived. If not for the fight earlier, then Rose wouldn't have minded. But her face was pretty badly cut up because of it, and Baby John had been scarred too. They had hurt her family, and for that, she couldn't forgive them.

Even Diesel go close to fighting when he was backed into. "How bout you give me some room?"
"Estás metido en el medio. ¿Qué te pasa?"

But the girl he was with just pulled him away. That wasn't what she had been promised when he offered a one night thing.

As the dancing continued, there was a clear split in the room. The beautiful blues that matched the ocean- the Jets. And the hard rusty reds of sunsets- the Sharks.

Of course, Rose and Riff were in the centre of the room. They were showing off as the music began to get more sensual. Their bodies grinned against one another, skin hot, movements heavy. His hips were like butter, fluidly moving in circles, Rose's glued to him. The friction and tension seemed to be unbearable. She couldn't help but admire his beauty. The contours of his skin only seemed to bring out the clearness of his eyes. Even panting for breath, he was gorgeous. Completely and utterly. Forever and always.

Bernardo and his girlfriend, Anita, were dancing in front of them. But they barely compared. She came face to face with Rose when their spins coincided. The Lorton just laughed as it became a kind of dance off.

However, Riff soon became distracted. In the same way that Rose couldn't take her eyes from her husband, he couldn't stay away from his wife. Their noses brushed against one another, lips ghosting for as long as they could. And when they grazed, shivers crawled up her spine. His touch was electric.

But they were interrupted. Once again. Riff and Bernardo bumped backs, but it wasn't going to be as easily solved as some of the others.

"You wanna dance buddy?" Riff scoffed, shoving him.

That was how the fighting began. It was Jets verses Sharks. Some shoved, some pushed, but there was still a clear divide. Officer Krupke had pushed to the middle, blowing a whistle to catch their attention.

An attendant, probably the organiser of the whole event, stood in the middle feebly. He held onto his clipboard like his life depended on it.

"Everyone, please calm down! Contain the aggression, okay?"