Chapter 18

𝟷𝟼. 𝙹𝚞𝚗𝚎 𝟷𝟿𝟻𝟼

Rose hadn't expected for Riff to arrive at her apartment so early in the morning, but she couldn't say it was unwelcome. He had knocked on her door with a smile on his face, more childlike than she'd ever seen him.

  "Hey." The Everly girl had greeted, but was pulled in without a moments hesitation to meet his lips. She felt at ease then, despite wondering about his visit. "What have I done to have you here so early?"

  As Rose let her fingers comb through Riff's light locks, he stepped into the room. Placing another couple of light kisses upon her face, predominately her lips, the Jets leader finally spoke. "I'm gonna take you to a dance."

  "A dance?" Rose was stunned.

  "Yeah. Tonight." He spoke as if it were nothing, but of course, it was something.

  "Tonight?"

  "Rosie..." he groaned as the girl pulled herself away. Soon, she was on the other side of the room, her front door now firmly shut.

  "No more lil' darlin'?" The girl taunted, with wide eyes. It caused a low chuckle to emerge from his chest, one that stirred a feeling in the pit of her stomach. One that only ever seemed to be there when Riff was.

  "I thought you hated it."

  She shook her head. "I don't hate it."

     He took a step forward.

    "Do you like it when I call you Rosie?" He teased. Another step forwards.

  "I like it better." She admitted.

  "Then what's the problem?" Riff questioned as he stepped closer once again. Within a moment, their foreheads were pressed together, and noses were brushing. "Rosie."

  "You don't know if I like to dance."

  "That's the problem?" He laughed.

  "Yeah."

  "Well, do you like to dance? His voice still remained low, only for Rose to recognise it as dominance. Not toxicity, or pain, just dominance. She nodded, silently, rubbing her nose against his softly. "Then I'll pick you up at eight. Wear blue."

  "Why blue?"

  "Cos that's what's I'm wearing." His lips ghosted hers, and he refused to let them meet. It was teasing. Taunting. Playful. "And I think every goddamn fella in the place should know that you and me, were goin' together."

  "Who's gonna be there?"

  "That's what I said." She chuckled, lightly.

  "Oh, well, you know."

  "The Jets?" When there was no reply, Rose stepped backwards. The Everly girl found herself frustrated at the idea.

     She didn't resent the Jets, especially because they had looked after Riff for her, but she just wanted some time with him. In reality, she'd never met any of the gang, not individually. Not in conversation. She'd passed by a few, but they'd all been warned away by Riff.

     Was this supposed to be the day she met someone?

     "Only for protection." Riff held up a hand, and swiftly made his way closer to Rose. "Some o' them have girls who wanna go dancing too. I'm not gonna stop them." When she stepped backwards once again, he held defeat in his eyes. "Rosie..."

  "I haven't even met any of them yet." Rose said, exasperated. "And you want me to go to a dance with them."

  Riff shook his head. "Not with them. Just where they happen to be."

  "Riff-"

  "Maybe it's time you met a few of 'em anyway. They're my guys." He shrugged, and pulled the girl close. "But your my girl, and we can stay away if you wanna."

  "Hell no." Rose scrunched up her nose, raising an eyebrow. "I wanna dance."

     Despite not having ever gone out with a boy before, the Everly girl had an inkling on what to do. She searched her closet for something blue that was suitable to dance in; that was what Riff had specified.

     Eventually, after rejecting dress after dress, she found something. It had petal sleeves and a circle skirt. As far as she could remember, it was good for moving, and she thought she looked nice in it. But, the thing that stirred her mind most toward it: the colour. Knowing that whatever she wore had to be blue in some way, this was perfect. Predominantly, it was the colour of snow. However, the sky blue trim and collar accented the dress better than she could've ever hoped.

     Rose knew that this was the one.

    When eight o'clock came, Rose was ready. Her hair had been crimped to perfection, and whatever makeup she had decided to put on, was just right.

     Knock. Knock. Knock.

     Rose opened the door, and was greeted with a same-looking Riff. The only difference was that he wore a light blue cotton shirt rather than a white vest.

  "You're taller." Was the first thing he said, and the Everly girl smacked his chest, unimpressed. 

  "That's what you notice?"

  "No." He shook his head. "Course not." He kissed the side of her forehead, taking her hand and leading her from the apartment. "You look gorgeous, Rosie."

     When they arrived at the high school, the Everly girl found herself to be nervous. She hadn't been to a proper dance... well, ever. She'd never seen the need, especially when she wasn't dating anyone. But now she was getting the chance to dance with Riff, and she was going to meet some of the Jets.

     It was going to be one hell of a day.

     Rose found herself worrying as she and Riff stepped onto the dance floor, but as soon as his hands touched her waist, she felt at ease. How he managed it, Rose could never be sure, but she felt better.

     Even when she was introduced to two of the Jets, Ice and Mouthpiece, she felt calm. The blonde curly haired latter was glad to meet the person who had made Riff that little bit kinder.

     That's what Rose was doing.

     Making him kind.

• - - •
1046
• - - •

Disclaimer!!!
I do not own West Side Story or the characters originally from the book, play, or musical. I do not own Riff, or any events from the 2021 film that this book is based off. However, I do own Rose, her friends, family, and her relationship with Riff prior to the film.
All of this is purely fictional, anything that relates to real life is purely coincidence.