Chapter 1

I'm just going to start off by saying this story may be very controversial. This is the end of a time period of conservation, so I wrote this story loosely surrounding that. I'll get into it more below.

I wish I didn't have to write this out, but I kind of have to. This story is going to have themes of sexuality and race. If that makes you uncomfortable, I advise you to read at your own discretion.

I do have the choice to not write about that (I'm very aware of that) but the amount of violence is apart of a struggle, one that deserves to be acknowledged. I feel like if I don't write about it, I'm ignoring it.

I won't use slurs or anything too widely known as hurtful to a group of people because there may be readers that are uncomfortable with that (I'm uncomfortable with it, and I'm the writer, as well as part of at least one of those groups).

I'd appreciate it if we didn't have these types of discussions in the comments, but it's okay to educate and correct someone or me. Be careful with what you say.

Thanks for reading.

——————————————————————

Davey walked through the halls of his high school, holding a book by his side. This was his usual routine, he never broke it.

He'd grab a book and walk toward the lunch room, passing people by as he went. He'd walk into the lunch room, somehow catching the eye of the really cute guy that sat in the same place everyday. Then, he'd eat some of Katherine's lunch and read.

He shouldn't think the guy is cute- Maybe. His parents have never asked him not to- but he couldn't help it. The guy was very attractive, no one could deny that.

Davey looked up at the same table he saw everyday, frowning when he noticed he wasn't there. He walked over to his table, sitting across from his sister, Sarah, and her best friend, Katherine. "Where's that kid?"

"Hello to you too, dear brother", Sarah greeted monotonously. "And whom do you speak of?"

"The kid with the leather jacket", Davey says, putting his book to the side as Katherine gave up half of her sandwich. "He's not here."

Katherine and Sarah turned around, looking for who Davey's talking about. "What?"

"He sits over there", Davey points, putting his hand down quickly. "He's not here."

"What would you want with Jack Kelly?" Katherine raised a brow, giving Sarah an apple. "He's probably skipping again, anyway."

"Who?"

"Jack Kelly, the schools 'bad boy'", Katherine reiterated, Sarah chuckling at the annoyance in her voice. "He leaves the boys grueling and the girls drooling, yet he doesn't have time for anyone but himself. I should know."

"Wait, is that who the rumor's about?" Sarah glanced at her brother, who shrugged. "You haven't heard it?"

"I don't spend my time trying to know the school's gossip, Sar", Davey sighs, drumming his finger in his book. Katherine nodded in agreement.

"Personally, I think the world would do better without a little gossip", she says, swallowing her food. Sarah rolled her eyes.

"If there was no gossip, there would be no point in your father's newspaper", Sarah points out, raising her brows. Katherine rolls her eyes, muttering, "Maybe that'd be a good thing."

"What rumor?" Davey tries to change the subject back the original topic. "What are you talking about?"

"Oh!" Sarah adjusts herself in her seat, a small smile on her lips. "I heard from Alexandra, who heard from Cassie, who told me Jack Kelly was caught kissing a boy in the school's bathroom today."