Chapter 10

Jack and Davey sat in Jack's room, close as usual. Closer in other people's eyes.

Jack wouldn't let Davey go after the meeting. He was holding his hand, pulling him close whenever he could, and glaring at anyone that stared at him for too long.

Naturally, this didn't bother Jack at all. However, Davey felt something was up.

He pulled away from the other's lips. Jack immediately leaned back in, confusion settling on his face as Davey pushed him back. "Did I do somethin'?"

"What's up?" Davey searched his lover's eyes for an answer, anything. "You've been, for lack of a better word, clinging to me ever since we walked back from Brooklyn."

"I just...really wanna spend time with you?"

"Jack, you gave me three hickies on the way here!" Davey stared at him incredulously. "You even told Blink to get home before the streetlights."

Jack sighed, his hands still planted on Davey's hips. He'd convinced himself he was just feeling very lovable right now, and it wasn't his fault Davey's lips were kissable during all hours of the day. It was nothing. "I just don't want you to leave me."

Davey's brows furrowed in concern. "What? Jack Kelly, I could never leave you", Davey insisted, pecking him on the lips. "Is this because of that Carly kid?"

Jack blew a raspberry, guffawing at the thought. "No! What? Why would I- why should I care what he says? He's- he's a loon."

Davey smirked. "Are you jealous?"

"Me? Jealous?"

Jack Kelly doesn't get jealous.

"It would explain your behavior", Davey adds, a sly smirk still on his face. "I mean, sure they felt nice, but three is excessive."

"Or I could just be so utterly in love with you, I got a little carried away", Jack shrugged, leaning back on his pillow. Davey flushed a bright red.

He didn't even think Jack realized what he said. He's in love with me. Already. After only a few months of actually getting to know each other.

It's amazing how fast feelings can grow, just as amazing as how fast they can die. But Davey had faith. He had faith that his feelings for Jack would never die, whether they were at the peak of their lives or crashing down a mountain. There was something about him, something that caught his heart.

"I love you, too."

Jack smiled and leaned in, silently asking to kiss his boyfriend's lips. This time, Davey didn't push him away.

——————

"That's crazy", Katherine muses, placing her sandwich down. "Are you losin' it or something?"

"We just-" Davey sighed, finding this way too hard to explain. I shouldn't have signed up for this. "Your dad knows him, and if-"

"You know my dad doesn't listen to anything I say", Katherine interrupts, sounding a bit defensive. "I didn't want to be apart of this anyway."

Davey sighs and looks at Sarah with exasperation. "Sar-"

"No. No way", Sarah shoots him down, chuckling at the fact he even tried. "I already told you not to wrap me into your affairs. Especially with him."

Ignoring the dig at his boyfriend, Davey shakes his head and gets up from his seat, walking away.

It didn't seem fair. Davey just needed a favor, one tiny favor in order to save his friend from Hell on earth. All Katherine had to do was ask her dad about the crooked officer and she couldn't even do that! Davey walked toward the table full of Newsies, sighing.

"She said no", he says, frowning when she saw the light and hope in their eyes dim. "Something about her dad never listening to her, which is true-"

"I'll talk to the old man myself", Albert interrupts, getting ready to leave before Race grabbed his collar.

"It ain't smart", he mentions, pulling his best friend down. "We gotta do this logically. Right, Davey?"

Davey nods, looking around. Someone was missing. "Where's Jack?"

"Bathroom", Blink mutters, leaning closer to Mush as they solved a crossword puzzle. "Hey, we need a five letter word for stupid."

Ike bit into his sandwich. "Moron."

"Albert", Mike shrugged, smirking at the glares he got from the angry red head.

"That's six letters, genius", Albert sassed, throwing a chip at the older twin.

Mush filled it in. "...It fits."

Davey left the table with that, on his way to find Jack.

——————

It was no secret that Jack Kelly had issues.

Most of the school assumed he did, with the way he skipped school most of the time, or how he seemed to be in a new fight every week, but they could never know what exactly his issues were. He didn't even know.

He watched as smoke floated around the can, filling the already murky air. He sighed out of his nose, watching as the rest floated away from his feet.

"You shouldn't smoke in here." Jack turned to see the lovely Davey Jacobs, arms behind his back. "Bad for the walls."

Jack chuckled softly, throwing the cigarette down. "You gonna stop me?"

"Maybe", Davey joked, walking up to his boyfriend. He wrapped his arms around his waist, smiling softly. "I plan to."

"How?" Jack glanced from Davey's eyes to his lips, a small smirk growing on his face. Davey giggled.

He pressed his lips to the taller's chapped ones, relishing in the warmth and comfort he felt. Despite its lack of clean corners, the bathroom turned into a ballroom, and he suddenly felt like Cinderella, Jack starring as Prince Charming.

Jack loved him. All of his energy would go into this beautiful boy and he wouldn't mind waking up tired, just as long as he got to see those wonderful blue eyes.

How clear they were, filled with Davey's thoughts and emotions. What he thought, saw, and loved went into his eyes, and Jack was obsessed.

Davey pulled away, a smile from the love he still felt afterwards on his face. Jack grinned softly, proud to have the most graceful creature on the big blue planet in his arms. He looked at the right side of Davey's neck, chuckling as Davey flushed red. "You talk to Katherine?"

Davey nodded. "She said she couldn't do it."

"What? Why?"

"Her dad never listens to her", Davey sighed, unwrapping his arms from Jack's waist. He grabbed his hand instead, still wanting to feel close. "He's...a complicated and controlling person."

Jack nodded, understanding. So, Kath couldn't talk to her father. That don't mean no one can't. "Alright."

"Alright?"

"Yeah", Jack nodded, smiling sweetly. "We'll figure somethin' else out."

Davey chuckled, pecking Jack's lips. "Don't do anything stupid, okay? I'm not looking for you if you go missing again."

Jack laughed and placed his arms around Davey, wrapping him in a hug.