Chapter 3

Ik I'm not supposed to update until tomorrow but this was too cute not to share (plus a voice actor that played one of my favorite characters died but this made me cheer up a bit)

—————————————————————

Jack stood in front of Davey, dabbing a wet towel on his face. The shorter winced, causing him to frown. "You okay?"

"I'm having a ball", Davey muttered, picking at a string on his pants. "Pain is wonderful."

"Didn't see you as the type to say that, Davey Boy", Jack teases, cleaning the wound on Davey's knee. The other blushed, looking away.

"I-I didn't-"

"I know what you meant, baby", Jack says, looking up at his crush with a small smile. "I just like teasin' you."

Davey chuckled softly, gripping the end of the bathtub. He wondered why there was a bathroom, seeing as he was in a theater right now, not a living area, but he didn't ask. "Who owns this place, anyway?"

"Well, Race likes to say us Newsies do, but-"

"Newsies?"

"Let me finish, doll. Miss Medda Larkin owns the joint."

Davey nods, processing the information. "You know her?"

"Yeah", Jack says, standing up. "She takes care of me."

"What about your parents?"

Jack stares at Davey silently, a small amount of noticeable pain in his eyes. He looks away, clearing his throat. "A newsie is someone who sells newspapers."

"Oh", Davey says, going along with the subject as he stood up with Jack's help. "So you and the guys are paperboys?"

"Some of 'em are", Jack mumbles, walking out of the restroom with Davey behind him. "But most of us help out when we can."

"Ah."

"Ah?"

"Yeah."

"That's cute."

Davey blushed and smiled at the floor, giving him a better chance to not fall down the stairs. He watched as Jack walked across the stage, following him.

"Hey, Racer", Jack shouts, running up to his second. "Where's Specs at, huh?"

"Probably outside playin' backseat bingo", Race mumbled, chuckling as he checked his cards. "Check Ro's chariot."

Jack nodded and walked away, knowingly bringing Davey with him. He opened the back door out of the theater—the alley where he had his first kiss with Davey—seeing Romeo's car. He went over to the passenger side window, knocking on the glass. Specs and Romeo jumped apart, sighing in annoyance as Romeo rolled the window down.

"No one asked you to lay out all your cards for the entire world to see", Jack teased, leaning in.

Romeo pouted. "But I've got so many tricks up my sleeve."

The boys burst into laughter, leaving Davey confused. He had no idea what that meant, and he wasn't sure he wanted to. "What's up, Jack?"

"Just comin' to check on Specs, here", Jack sighed, thumbing his nose. "Brought Davey with me since he patched him up."

Davey walked up to the window, seeing the same boy from earlier. "Hey. You okay?"

"Peachy keen", he says, a small smile on his lips as he adjusts his glasses. "Had to wear my spares, though."

Davey nodded as Jack laughed, patting his friend on the shoulder. "You ain't gonna die from your glasses, Specs."

"I think you look very nice in them", Romeo complimented, smirking. "On and off."