Chapter 12

Davey sighed as he wiped down the tables, checking to make sure it was shinier than a chandelier. Jack was coming within thirty minutes.

And everything needs to be perfect.

"Will you stop cleaning?" Sarah held her place in her book with her finger, the sound of cartoons in the background. "I'm sure he's been in way worse conditions."

Davey ignored her, barely sparing her a glance as he walked up to his little brother. "Les, could you turn the TV off? We have a guest arriving soon."

Sarah rolled her eyes and walked into the kitchen, where her mother was cooking and her father was keeping company.

"Who is this guy, anyway?" Les moved to the screen, turning the knob and shutting the machine off. "Do I know him?"

"How would you-" Davey shakes his head, helping his little brother stand up. "No. He's a friend from my school."

"I know people from your school", Les scoffed, running into the kitchen to grab the silverware as Davey grabbed the plates. The older stared at him with question.

"What?"

"I have my ways."

Davey chuckled just before there was a knock on the door, gasping. "He's here."

Les furrowed his brows and stared up at his big brother, watching as he ran a hand through his hair furiously.

Davey attempted to look presentable. The plates were different whites and the silverware didn't match—not to mention the napkins were paper instead of cloth, something Davey spent an hour trying to fold—and he believed this was the least he could do. So, he took deep breaths as he walked into the kitchen and left Sarah to open the door.

"Kelly", she sighed, staring up straight and attempting to be civil, considering the last time they saw each other, choice words were, well, chosen.

"Sarah", Jack greeted, sending her a nod. He cleared his throat and tried not to make it too obvious that he was more interested in her brother. "How are you?"

She hummed and left the doorframe, leaving it open for Jack to walk through. He shook his head and entered.

It seemed nicer than it was before, not that it was nice. There were certain things about the apartment that were different from when he first came here. Davey.

"Hey, you." Jack looked down to find a kid staring up at him. "Who are you?"

Jack chuckled and crouched to the tykes level, putting his hand out. "The names Jack Kelly. Who are you, kid?"

"They call me Les. Davey's my older brother."

"Yeah, no kiddin'", Jack smiled, shaking hands with Les. His hands were definitely smaller than he was used to—Jack hadn't shook a hand smaller than his since he was young—but they made it work, with the older's hand almost completely swallowing Les'. The kid had a very strong shake, though. "How old are you, Les?"

"Near ten." Jack chuckled and looked around, leaning closer and lowering his voice.

"Well, if you ever get into my profession, tell people your seven, alright? Younger sells more papes, you know?"

Les nodded, his eyes filled with admiration. Davey walked in, a happy smile on his face. "Hey, Jack."

Jack winked at Les and stood up, facing his boyfriend. "Hey, Dave."

Well, this was awkward. Normally, one would greet the other with a kiss or a hug, but that didn't seem very appropriate, considering Davey's parents and kid brother are right there (and neither of them know about this little thing they have going).