Chapter 17

Jack and Romeo walked beside Celine down the street, ignoring the weird looks from people. They stayed close to her, making sure no one would hurt her.

"Do you really think all that stuff is true?" She asked her question quietly, her head down and her eyes avoiding. "That he's...in jail?"

Jack sighed, grabbing her hand and holding it in his. He patted it comfortingly, deciding not to answer. Closure is great, but she only needs to imagine her brother as happy and home, not behind a cage.

Romeo seemed to have the same idea. "How's school goin', CeCe? I heard you tried out for cheerleadin'."

Celine smiled softly, and Jack saw she was trying to keep herself from joy. "Yeah. I got it."

"What?! That's great!" Romeo smiled at her as Jack noticed the school getting closer. They were walking down the street, nearing the courtyard. "I'll be sure to go to your first game."

"It's not until next year, Ro", Celine giggled, shaking her head. "I can't cheer until next year."

"Well, I'll only be a senior", Romeo shrugged, a smile still on his face. "That's a huge accomplishment."

"I'm the first girl like me to be on the team", she mused, looking down as she grinned. "Mama says I'm making history."

"I'm happy for you." Jack listened in on their conversation, mostly staying quiet and walking ahead. He had to get this girl into school before the bell rang and before trouble was caused. For all he knew, the cops were taking girls, too.

They turned the corner into the courtyard, stopping when they saw two familiar bullies standing in their way. "Delancey."

"Jack", Oscar greeted, a sinister smirk on his face. He looked over at how Romeo had his arm wrapped around Celine protectively. "Who's she?"

"None of your concern", Jack growls, crossing his arms. "Now, will you—"

"I don't know, Morris", Oscar interrupts, glancing at his brother. "Do we enjoy takin' orders from Jack Kelly?"

"No, Oscar", Morris answers, pounding his fist into his hand. "I don't think we do."

Jack glanced at Romeo, silently telling him to Get her out of here. He watched as they scurried off to the school building, leaving Jack and the Delanceys standing.

"Do you need somethin'?"

"You know, Kelly, I was thinkin'", Morris starts, glancing at his brother. "Where have your friends been goin' lately?"

"Yeah", Oscar agrees, his smirk widening. "So many of them are gone."

"I mean, there's the small one."

Don't listen to 'em, Jack, he told himself, clenching his fists. They're trying to get to you.

"The weird carrot top." Come on, man. Walk away.

"And the colored boy." A new low. Jack had never felt this level of anger in him, and he prayed to a God he didn't believe in, for the sake of Oscar and Morris Delancey, that they chose their next words carefully.

"It's an epidemic!" Oscar laughed at his use of the word, walking closer to Jack and getting in his face. "I mean, I would just hate for your friend, Davey, to be ne-"

Jack liked to think of himself as more of a lover. He didn't hit people unless deemed necessary, and he didn't really seem it necessary to his people. But this time?

Jack found himself pounding every ounce of hate he had in him into Oscar Delancey's face, deeming it very necessary to hit him. Blood shot everywhere, and he could hear the screams and cheers of viewers, but he didn't care. He wasn't going to be satisfied until her heard a crack come from Oscar's nose.