Chapter 8

-----Rainbow Steve's POV-----

Sabre had been acting a little off ever since he got captured by Void.

Rainbow had talked to Light about it but Light brushed it off as Sabre was a bit embarrassed that he had been revealed that his arm was paralyzed by the enemy, of all Steves.

Rainbow agreed that Sabre would probably feel embarrassed about that, but he knew that something else was going on.

Also, Sabre died and came back to life.

No Steve could ever do that, and Rainbow was pretty sure that non-Steves couldn't do that either!

He had been watching Sabre train the Steves that had come forward to learn how to fight to defend themselves from the Darkness.
Sabre was taking a slightly different approach to the training.

Sabre seemed to understand now the amount of energy used with different powers.
He always understood that Steves had limited energy, but never knew exactly how much.

And Sabre was now understanding how to fire a fireball, as if he could. Rainbow was quite suspicious of him.

A Non-Steve, knowing how Steve magic properly works and acts? Not right.

Rainbow watched Therapist Green Steve and Orange Steve leave, then turned to face Sabre.

He was about to walk up to him to ask Sabre about this, when he heard Sabre mumble to himself.
"Just a little longer...hold up for a bit longer until you're ready...then Void is going to get what he deserves." 

Rainbow stiffened. That sounded dangerous coming from Sabre. What is he talking about 'until you're ready'? Ready for what? Should I ask him? No, I shouldn't...

What if I ask him about it and he does something to me? I'm sure he wouldn't but with the Darkness...what if he was infected? Rainbow stiffened at that thought. He didn't want his best friend to be infected, and Light has said multiple times that Sabre can't be infected by Darkness. 

Rainbow shook his head. I won't ask him just yet...Rainbow walked over to Sabre, clearing his throat to make himself noticed.

Sabre spun around with most likely widened eyes, you could never tell under the blindfold. "Oh! Rainbow! Sorry, you surprised me."

"It's alright, Sabre. Sorry for surprising you." Rainbow smiled, "Training session went well, I assume?"

"Yep! Therapist Green Steve needs to work on actually deciding to fight the Darkness instead of talking it out, but without that they're both amazing!" Sabre grinned.

Rainbow laughed, "Classic Therapist Green Steve. It's nice he'd rather talk though, that will stop a few conflicts." 

"Yeah. But sadly, talking won't work with the Darkness." Sabre frowned, glancing down at the ground.

"Yeah..." Rainbow trailed off. What should I say to him? Ask him how his day has been? WHAT DO I SAY?! As he was mentally freaking out about how awkward the silence had become, Sabre started looking around for some reason.

"What's wrong?" Rainbow frowned, seeing how tense Sabre seemed to have become.

"Run." Sabre whispered, making Rainbow freeze. 

"What..?" He whispered, fear clawing at him

"RUN!" Sabre shrieked, pushing Rainbow away as Darkness erupted from the trees nearby, surging towards the rainbow-coloured Steve.

Rainbow gasped, jumping back and starting to run before realising that Sabre had been cut off from Rainbow by the Darkness.

"SABRE!" Rainbow screamed for his friend, eyes widening as he saw that Sabre was surrounded by a group of about 5-6 Darkness, and 3 Darkness were coming towards Rainbow.

"Rainbow, RUN!" Sabre yelled again, dodging a swing of a darkness-covered sword and taking out an iron sword of his own, shifting it in his grip until it was comfortable in his non-paralyzed arm. 

"I can't leave you!" Rainbow called back, stepping back as the Darkness coming after him approached.

"Just go!" Sabre stabbed a Darkness figure, jumping away from another one as the one he stabbed faded away.

Rainbow yelped as he felt a Darkness hand on his shoulder and he whipped around, brushing the remaining Darkness off in a hurried panic.
I can't get infected, that would be bad.

Rainbow looked around, realising that Darkness were swarming through the streets, attacking the few Steves who used their training from Sabre and the Colourless Guards to fight.

He counted quickly in his head and concluded that there were now 5 Darkness around him, and the same amount of Darkness, 5, were jabbing at Sabre with darkness-covered swords.

Rainbow spotted movement in the sky, Void Steve, who was flying over the Rainbow Kingdom, as if looking for something...or someone.

He stiffened at that realisation. He's looking for either me or Sabre...maybe...hopefully not...

Rainbow jumped into the air, ignoring the Darkness crowding around underneath him.
Wait...if I can destroy Void Steve...the Darkness would be destroyed with him, right?

Rainbow felt suddenly determined, glancing quickly at Sabre to make sure he was okay.
He was, the Non-Steve had managed to break through the circle around him and had reduced the 5 Darkness figures to 3.

Rainbow smiled at him, not caring that Sabre was too focused on not dying to notice him. After a moment of locating Void Steve, Rainbow flew at him, readying to strike him with lightning.

As he was approaching, Rainbow saw Void Steve notice him and start to turn around, but by the time Void Steve had started to form a fireball in his palms, Rainbow struck him with lightning, watching the Darkness leader reel back in pain.

Firing a few more lightning bolts, and dodging fireballs, Rainbow saw that Void Steve was starting to falter in his flight.
I can do this!!! I'll be the Hero everyone says I was meant to be!

Rainbow summoned a large amount of water and fired it at an incoming fireball, extinguishing it immediatly.
Normally it takes more than that to stop Void Steve's fireballs! I'm weakening him!

Void Steve had given up on the fireballs and was now showering lightning at Rainbow, who was having a little bit of a harder time dodging the bolts than the fireballs. It was painful, but Rainbow could manage.

Void Steve had now sunken almost to the ground and with one last fireball, sank to the ground with a pained grunt.

Rainbow landed in front of him, glaring down at the defeated Steve.
He raised his hand, readying to give the final strike.
This was really easy...you're telling me that these Steves struggled to defeat him? Or maybe it's because I'm more powerful than I realise.
Rainbow smiled at that thought, but then stiffened as he felt an impending sense of doom and saw a small smirk on Void Steve's face.

Rainbow turned, as Void Steve's eyes were focused on something behind Rainbow, and was met face-to-face with Darkness.

He panicked as lightning struck all around him and Rainbow let out a scream, squeezing his eyes shut.

....

I'm...alive...? But...why do I feel....different?

He slowly opened his eyes and was surprised by the pitch black that surrounded him.

Rainbow looked around, confused, before realisation hit him.

This is where Steve's good conscious goes when you're infected with Darkness...

I've joined them.