Thirty four

Haneul walks at the Hangang River, alone

Haneul walks at the Hangang River, alone. She holds a bag of bottles of soju in her hand, swaying it around while her eyes are fixed to the sunset.

It was almost night, and she still didn't have a meal.

"I swear to myself to not drink again, but I can't... Today I'm just gonna have some." She sighs, walking to the nearest bench.

The Hangang River is crowded with people although it's still evening. Usually, it'd be crowded at night but I guess it didn't.

"I shouldn't be this weak..."

"Cheer up, Haneul." She forces a smile.

Haneul takes out 5 soju bottles, placing them on the table.

She knows that she's not gonna be able to finish them all, but it's better too much than too little.

Haneul opens the cap, slowly taking a sip straight from the bottle. It burns her throat for the first time in a while, but later on, The after-taste lingers a bit of sweetness and bitterness.

She squints her eyes, fully taking in the clear and colorless alcohol in her hand.

Everything still feels surreal to her.

Everything that happened to her, feels unfair.

"Why me?"

"Why do I get all of this?"

"Why can't I be like a normal person? Why can't I at least be healthy for a while?" tears finally escaped from her eyes, running down her cheeks.

She couldn't handle it anymore, letting out all of the frustration and sadness she's been keeping inside her heart. All of the concerns that are stuck inside her brain, all of the problems, she expresses with tears.

Haneul sobs harder, not caring about the stares she's receiving from the passerby who walks there.

She took another big gulp of soju, before wiping her face aggressively with her palms.

When was the last time I cried like this?

"I'm sure it's been so long..." she mutters to herself.

-

30 minutes passed, Haneul finished 2 bottles of soju. Surprisingly, her alcohol tolerance is quite high. She did feel a little tipsy, but not drunk.

She got the urge to check her phone since she turn it off in the morning.

Haneul turns on the phone, watching it slowly load.

After a few seconds, her heart stops for a while. The first thing she saw on the screen is Jay's dozens of missed calls, and messages asking her where she was.

The time when the message got sent is from 2 pm, until 15 minutes ago. He texted her every minute, worrying about her whereabouts.

"I'm sorry, Jay..." she smiles guiltily.