standing a chance

[Two years after Grace left and the death of Billy Kimber]

(No One’s P.O.V)
The Shelby clan were sitting in the betting shop awaiting the arrival of Tommy Shelby, Victoria Jackson had become a regular at the family meetings now ever since the incident with Kimber and Grace. Victoria and Tommy have grown closer over the last two years, it was rare to see one without the other but on this occasion, Victoria didn’t know what Tommy was up to.
“Hello everyone, glad to see you could all be there. Hello Victoria.” Everyone turned to follow the voice of Tommy Shelby as he passed by Victoria gently placing his had on her back briefly as he passed her.
“As you all know we’ve been doing really well these last few years and now is the time to expand.” There were murmurs around the room. Tommy looked over at his brothers with a smile.
“Boys we’re heading to London.” Victoria looked over at Tommy just as Tommy’s eyes glanced at Victoria. Tommy knew she was not happy especially as he didn’t warn her before the meeting. He had kept it a secret. Tommy gave out his order to the rest of the family and they all slowly trickled out of the room until it was just Tommy and Victoria left.
“Tommy what the fuck was that?” Victoria came to stand in front of Tommy. He knew that she didn’t like surprises, but this was one that he had to keep from everyone. He looked down at her and place his hand on her cheek.
“Toria I’m sorry I didn’t tell you. I had to keep it from everyone. But I’ll make it up to you. How about I take you out just us. Well take a trip to London and get a feel for the place. Get you a nice dress and you can let your hair down?” He looked at Victoria with such adoration that it scared him sometimes. Tommy had let Victoria see him in ways no one else had ever seen him. She had seen Tommy Shelby cry and seen him after his nightmares.
Victoria placed her hand over his and smiled, Tommy still didn’t know that Victoria loved him. It was killing her to not tell him. But she knew it was not the right time to tell him so for now Victoria simply smiled and gave Tommy what he needed.
“Okay Tommy, lets do it, I’ve always wanted to go to London. When shall we go?” Victoria was ecstatic to be spending time with Tommy away from business, maybe she stood a chance of being Tommy’s Girl.
“Give me a few days to get everything sorted and we’ll go. Are you coming to the Garrison later? We can have a few Whiskeys.” Tommy was always sweet with Victoria when no one else was around, he had to keep his business mind on when around the others.
“Sure, I’ll go pack a few things and I will meet you over there later.” Victoria wrapped her arms around Tommy and leaned up and kissed his cheek which Tommy returned. She then raced out of the door giggling in excitement, she was going to London and with Thomas Shelby. It took Victoria a few hours to decide what to take, did she want to impress Tommy, should she take her best dress? Victoria didn’t know what to take, but ultimately decided to take a few of her everyday dresses, undergarments, and she even packed her nicest dress just in case.
After packing what she thought she needed Victoria headed to the Garrison to meet Tommy. Victoria pulled the doors open to the Garrison and walked in, it was already filled with the locals and today Victoria didn’t have to work today, in fact she had hardly worked at the Garrison over the last few years she has taken to helping Tommy with the Shelby business and sometimes sat with Polly while she looked over the accounts. Shelby Company Limited paid well, especially when you’re best friends with the boss and the bookkeeper.

(Victoria’s P.O.V)

“Hello Harry, Tommy in the back?” I pointed to the back room and Harry nodded, my smile grew as I walked towards the door. I stopped in front of the door, adjusted my dress checking for crumbs. A deep breath and I pushed the door open and head inside.
“Ah there she is, Tommy’s girl, come and have a seat with the Peaky Fucking Blinders” Arthur was in a good mood, he had a grin from ear to ear and a whiskey in hand. I walked round the table and sat between Tommy and John. A glass was placed in front of me and was soon filled with whiskey. I thanked the boys and picked up my glass bringing it to my lips and sipping the amber liquid.
“So this expansion into London Tommy, what does it mean for the Peaky Blinders?” John was rather inquisitive this evening I noted. Tommy placed his drink back on the table and looked passed me to John.
“It means brother than the Peaky Blinders are heading to London and taking on the Italians. But enough of that. Tonight is about Victoria over here, she as officially been part of the Blinders for two years now and she is coming with me to London to take a look at our competition.” Tommy lifted his glass to toast me, my cheeks slowly became red as I hid myself in my drink. At this point Arthur stood up and walked behind me.
“Come on the love, let your hair down and have a bit of fuck with the Peaky Fucking Blinders. Let’s get you rat arsed shall we? Harry more drinks, bring them in.” While Arthur spoke he pulled the pin that kept my hair up and it fell down my back, he then shouted to Harry through the walls of the Garrison to which Harry hurried in with two more bottles of Whiskey.
“I don’t think that’s a good idea boys; you see little Toria and I have trip tomorrow to London.” I turned to Tommy in shock we were not meant to be going to London for a few days, good thing I packed.
“Really Tommy? Just like that, we’re going tomorrow.” I smiled at Tommy in excitement, he returned my smile and placed his hand on my knee giving it a reassuring squeeze. I was really heading to London. Fuck me!

(No One’s P.O.V)
Victoria and the Shelby boys finished off two bottles of Whiskey out of the three bottles they were given. Tommy was currently escorting Victoria back to the Shelby house as she was in no state to be by herself. Pushing the door open Tommy and Victoria were greeted by a bemused looking Polly.
“Well what ‘ave we got here?” Polly smirked while holding a cigarette to her lips. Victoria couldn’t stand still, she was currently swaying next to Tommy.
“Pol, we’re going to London tomorrow, just me and Tommy. Isn’t that great!” Victoria was definitely feeling the impact of drinking so much whiskey with her boys. Tommy on the other hand seemed to be handling the alcohol much better than Victoria. He smirked at her and guided her towards the stairs.
“I’m going to put this one in Ada’s room, doubt she’d make it home. I’ll be back down and we can talk Pol” Tommy held Victoria by her elbow and helped her climb the stairs. He sat her on Ada’s bed and told her to get herself fit for sleeping. Tommy left Victoria to undress and clamber into bed. He walked back down the stairs and sat in the kitchen with Polly, who still had the same cigarette in her hand.
“So London Tommy, is it starting already? This expansion?” Polly had a hard expression on her face. She was not buying the day trip to London like Victoria was.
“I’m taking her to a Jazz club and around London Pol. If Arthur and John are there also what fucking difference does it make?” Tommy did plan to do some business while he was in London but hoped Victoria wouldn’t notice.
“Tommy you know she will notice, Victoria really thinks it is just the two of you. Go up and tell her. Don’t make it worse for the morning.” Polly had finished her cigarette and was sipping on some tea. She raised her eyebrow at Tommy and looked to the door. Tommy knew what he had to do. He took of his cap and placed it on the table, pushed his chair back and stood up. He turned to Polly who was still sipping her tea. He left the kitchen to talk to Victoria. But how would she take the news of the not so special trip to London?