004 - (Ava's Story)

I was dragged into this cabin by Lou and I was met with this curly-haired girl and this short, clueless girl. She smiled and said while pointing at me, "Girls... look who I found! Like literally found wandering around by the dock." Both the girls looked at me like confused little puppies.

          "I was so confused! Everyone kept saying 'Woodchuck is the brown one with all the trees around it.' That is all the buildings," I exclaimed. Lou introduced me to the girls and the blonde one came to give me a hug. "Oh! No offense, but I'm just a big city girl. If a stranger tries to hug you in my neighborhood, they're usually trying to steal your wallet," I say as I chuckle.

          Lou shifts awkwardly as she says, "Well, this is Woodchuck neighborhood, where hugs are just hugs and we don't scare our campers. This is Destiny, this is Gwen, and this is Y/N. Since you're a first-time counselor, I didn't want to overload you with too many campers."

          I looked around confusedly. "Uh, which one is Y/N? You didn't point to a person when you said her name. Is she even here?" My eyes darted across the room as I scanned it, looking for her. I even stuck my head out the window but retracted it once I didn't see anyone approaching the cabin.

          Within seconds, a girl darted in the cabin with a large suitcase while panting. "I- I tried to get here as fast as I could... th- taxi wa- slow. Whew!" She collapsed on the bed behind me. "Oh! 'Sup, guys. Nice to meet you. Y/L/N, Y/N Y/L/N." She looked up at me and she said, "And who might you be?"

          I cleared my throat. "King, Ava King. Dang, how old are you? You look like a 3rd grader. Is this even a place for 3rd graders? What parent would send such a young kid to camp over break?!"

          She chuckled bitterly. "Damn. Rude. I'm 14, for your kind information, darling. And how old must you be? 62? Isn't that a bit too old to be a counselor? Shouldn't you be in a nursing home, Ms. King? Or should I call you Grandma King? Or Granny Ava?"

          Dang, that was mean. "I meant it as a compliment! You look younger than your age! But I don't look that old, do I? I look like your average 14 year old, right? Plus, it's my first time being a counselor and technically, you shouldn't talk to me like that because Lou over here can kick you out of camp," I said.

          She kicked my knee lightly and she said, "God! I was joking too! Obviously, if you insult me - or say something that sounds insulting -, I'm most likely going to insult you back! That's just how life works, Ava! And I'm sorry for kicking you... kind of." She mumbled under her breath, "Goshes..."

          Lou interrupted us before saying, " Well, anyway, dibs on this bunk. If you want this one, you have to arm-wrestle me, and mama's been pumping hay bales all spring." I looked skeptically around the room before realizing that there's no bed for me.

          "Shouldn't you be sleeping in the director's cabin? Right? Since you're the director now." I thought that if Lou didn't sleep in the director's cabin, then I'd have to share a bed with someone.

          Lou then walked out saying, "Right, I should, shouldn't I? Force of habit. Well, you girls have fun! I'll be out doing something." Destiny left with Gwen a few moments later because she was going to give Gwen a tour of camp.

          I knew well that Lou probably wouldn't sleep in the director's cabin, but it's okay, right? She just needs to get used to it, so she'll probably sleep here tonight and sleep elsewhere tomorrow. I plopped down on the bed next to Y/N. "Hey, rude Grandma Ava," she said as she smiled a bit.

          I shared a small smile as I responded. "Hi, weird Baby Y/N. Is it okay if I share the bed? I guess Lou probably won't be staying in the director's cabin, so..."

          Y/N smirked and I looked at her confusedly. "As long as I'm not the one pinned against the wall. I don't do that." Y/N giggled and said with a slightly shy expression, "And I need someone to hold me when I sleep."

          I teasingly squinted at her, trying to get a reaction out of her. "Well, the big bad 14 year old needs someone to hold her, hm?" Y/N pouted before I continued. "Fine, then. Now let's get situated, shall we?"

A/N: it took me a week to write this- also, i totally didnt expect 100 reads by now so like dam thanku :) - sky