Chapter 21

The world was muted as if someone had the TV running in another room. All the voices muddled into one but all were laced with concern. Concern for who Dick was pretty sure was him or maybe Jason? He and Jay had a nasty fight on patrol recently yet he was confused. He would often hear a voice (he thinks it was someone named Mike something) talking in a surprisingly low voice off to Dick's left. Curiosity grew within Dick as the murmurings continued. It had to be Alfred or Bruce. He had to be in the cave even if he couldn't feel the general dampness the smell of antiseptic was the same. With herculean effort Dick opened his eyes to the world only to get immediately blinded by unforgiving lights. The teen automatically raised an arm to his hand to ward off the lights but a pinching tug in his hand and a dull throb in his arms stopped him in his tracks. He gave a little whimper in response. A shuffling sound emerged from his left and a hopeful voice broke the somber atmosphere, "Dick?" the teen in question squinted his eyes trying to confirm who he thought was there. A blonde haired man entered his blurry vision. That was neither Bruce or Alfred. Who could it be? Was there an intruder? Dick took a closer look to determine the threat level. He could just make out the signature sunglasses and the bright grin.

The teen gave a groan of confirmation before he closed his eyes once more; the light became too much. He heard movement to his right both the lights behind his eyelids dimmed and darken. There were footsteps until his teacher was beside him and Dick picked up on the slight sound of ice chips. He cracked open one eye sighing in relief at the darkness before he tried to rise. Present Mic swiftly raised his arm to help the boy settle back against the fluffy infirmary pillows. This was definitely no batcave or mountain infirmary. The coloring was all off and the antiseptic smelled different. His heart cracked. He was still stuck in another world. Crisis still browning in his mind Dick properly situated himself and properly opened both of his eyes. He was met with his teacher's soft smile and a glass full of ice chips in his face. Dick lifted his hands, proud when it only shook the slightest bit, and grabbed the glass. He put the glass to his chapped lips before tilting it to pour the ice cube in and letting a few melt upon his tongue. Whilst he let the ice sooth his damaged and dry throat Dick took a closer glance around the room. The place was plain in the classic bland hospital white. With light streaming in from a single window and the ever present scratching of hospital sheet against his skin it was the same as any other infirmary. Just to his left side Dick saw a snow white curtain opened just enough to showcase his homeroom teacher in all his bandage glory. The man's hair was frazzled as it laid along his back and it looked more greasy than normal; if that was even possible yet the black locks could not quite obscure the several bandages wrapped around the man's face, torso and arms. He looked more dead than alive even with his eyes open.

Lightly clearing his throat, cautious of the damage that still lingered, Dick spoke, his voice quivering only the slightest bit, "Hey there teach, how ya doing?"

The man could only make a muffled noise that sounded somewhat like a disapproving, worry filled grunt but the man's glare spoke a thousand words. Yamada, bless the man, came to his poor injured husband's aid, "He's doing fine now," the man said with a bright grin to match his brightly coloured hair, "Well Aizawa may have more injuries, it is you who we're worried about. You were out for nearly a day and a half ! Even with Recovery girl healing the worst injuries you should have woken up much sooner," Yamada's face was deep set and concerned whilst he recalled the events. Apparently Dick had been out longer than he thought.

"Recovery Girl?" questioned Dick failing to recall what her quirk required to work, something with life force or energy, he thought.

"Yes. Her quirk was able to lessen the concussion to a minor one and heal the majority of your broken shoulder so you only need to wear a sling for a little while," The blonde man patiently explained while giving Dick a confused and even more concerned look, "How much do you remember?" The man lightly reached out his calloused palm toward Dick's leg.