𝟏𝟗

EVERYONE had been grieving the death of Persephone in different ways

EVERYONE had been grieving the death of Persephone in different ways. Alonzo had been staying more to himself, he tried to keep himself busy and with Kodi being injured, that helped give him something to focus on.

Xiomara knew he was hurting, but she didn't want to bother. She got along with Peaches when she was alive, and they'd been around each other for years, of course she was sad, but she had accepted it pretty early on. Due to her parents' deaths when she was younger, accepting death just came easier to her, no matter who the person may be.

Rodney hadn't spoken to anyone. He hadn't charged his phone, so no one could call and get in contact with him. He had lost his best friend, his right-hand man. He didn't know what to do. His injuries were worse than hers, so he felt guilty for being the one to survive.

Safiya was a mess. She felt bad, they had a big falling out right before she died and they never got the chance to get over it. The argument was dumb, and Safiya was beating herself up for giving her name to the police in the first place. Because if she hadn't, no matter how it would've all ended—her and Persephone would've still ended on good terms, and that would be something she could live with.

Syian hadn't shed a tear.

It wasn't because he wasn't sad or anything, because he was, he just didn't let his mind sit on the subject too long. His way of coping was through what he felt he was best at—sex. Every time Brionne would try to talk about what happened, he would initiate sex.

She knew he was doing it to hide his feelings, so she didn't turn it down, despite her knowing she should have. She had tried once, telling him that sex wouldn't bring her back, but that didn't make him talk about it. Instead, he went out to a bar and got drunk before heading to his parents' house for the night and sleeping there.

Brionne had no idea that he got drunk, and Syian didn't plan on telling her. He knew she'd be disappointed, especially with the way he constantly was on her to stay sober. When he woke up the next morning, he was disappointed in himself, and Dahlia could tell that he was hungover as well. He didn't need Brionne's disappointment on top of that.

"You need to eat, sweetheart." Dahlia sat a bucket in front of Syian, rubbing the side of his face. "Some bread might help the hangover."

"I'm good, Ma," He mumbled, but she wasn't listening to anything he was saying.

"You're not. God, why would you do this to yourself again?" She frowned. She knew her son, and she knew exactly why he did.

"I just needed to take my mind off of something."

"Peaches?" She questioned and he didn't respond. "Syian, baby, drinking isn't bringing her back."

"What is, then?" He asked, Dahlia could see that he was genuinely hurt. The look in his eyes told it all.

"Nothing, you just have to find a way to allow yourself to accept it. I'm really sorry that you lost your friend, I am, but this? It isn't going to fix it."