Miles fucking dies pt.2 electric boogaloo

Big inspiration from chapter 9 of Bless You, Flower Child by FlowingRiverAshes
Go read it.
https://archiveofourown.org/works/26244376

It's funeral time baby >:)

"He was lucky to have you."

"I'm so sorry you never got the life you deserved with him."

"May he live on with you and your children."

Phoenix shifted on his feet as he watched people close to both him and Edgeworth come up to him to give their condolences, before walking away to talk amongst themselves before the funeral service actually started. He felt out of place and like he was dreaming, this was where he and Miles had wanted to get married and yet here he was in the suit they had bought for the wedding but at his partner's funeral. Things felt wrong here. Maya noticed her friend standing away from the crowd and walked over to him, hesitantly placing a hand on his arm making Phoenix look at her, she could see the bags under his eyes and the slight redness from his tears and crying. "You doing okay Nick? The service is about to start soon..." Phoenix let a breath he was holding out as he ran his fingers through his spiked hair before nodding, Maya gave a sad smile and walked over to the chairs when she heard Trucy calling for her. Phoenix hasn't spoken a word since he left the hospital that night, only time he'd talk is with Apollo and Trucy the only exception was Franziska, she was the only one he'd feel comfortable talking about the funeral with, what they had planned and such.

Phoenix sat between Franziska and Apollo, Trucy sat next to her brother and Maya beside her as the service started and people quieted down Phoenix started to zone out. He couldn't help it, he's been doing it for the months it took to prepare the funeral and the emotional trauma his family would soon be going through. Subconsciously reaching up, Phoenix grabbed Miles’s ring he had hooked onto the chain necklace Miles had gotten him when they first started dating, tears threatened to fall but he blinked them back. A hand grabbed onto his and squeezed bringing him back to reality, it was Franziska, she'd been doing that every time Phoenix would get stuck in his thoughts just like he did for Miles after an earthquake or a particularly bad nightmare, he looked at her and gave a smile that was mostly just a grimace.

The service ended and people started walking towards the building that was where food was being served and where people could have more time to talk and give their condolences. Phoenix was left alone by the casket, left looking at his fiancé, could he still even say that? It felt right but he felt guilt when he did, he should have been there in the car with him, maybe then things would be different but right now the one person he changed his life just for the chance to find him was laying comfortably in the plush insides of the casket. He looked peaceful though he wasn't in his signature maroon suit, he was dressed in the one he had bought with Phoenix for their wedding, a pure white suit with a red tie tucked nicely into the vest under the suit jacket. The interior had two embroidered roses over the heart, one red one blue, he knew that because it was the same in his own suit.

Reaching into the casket Phoenix grabbed Miles’s hand, something he hadn't done since that night. His hands already shaking as he leaned down and brought Miles paler, cold knuckles to his lips leaving a gentle kiss and closed his eyes as the tears he was holding back fell once again. Phoenix put Miles hand back over the other where it originally was and brushed a few hairs from his face before leaving one last kiss on his forehead.

"Papa? Auntie Maya was wondering where you were..." Phoenix flinched at his daughter's voice, it was shaking and quiet like if she said the wrong thing she would lose him as well, turning around he smiled at her and offered his hand noticing her brother walking toward them too. "I'm just saying goodbye to your dad Truce, it's just hard to let go right now." Phoenix didn't sugar coat or hide what he was feeling to his kids, they would figure it out anyway even though he truly wished they didn't have to go through this so soon. Apollo was only 16 and Trucy wasn't even 10, it hurt to know that they had to go through this so young. Apollo finally got close to his sister and father and reached out for Trucy's hand as he stood next to the casket. "Aunt Maya and Anut Franziska are gonna start looking for you dad." Apollo's voice was soft and tired as he spoke due to the many nights he had been up with Trucy as she cried into his chest while he rubbed her back and ran his hands over her short hair. Phoenix sighed as he placed an arm around his eldest, "Gotta say our final goodbyes then huh?" Apollo only nodded and Phoenix picked up Trucy holding her up so she could see her dad to say goodbye.

It was silent but it was broken as Trucy started crying Apollo quickly taking action as he took her from his dad's arms and gave him a look before walking back towards the building as his little sister sobbed into his shoulder. Phoenix looked back at Miles, resting his hand on the side of the casket. "We miss you so much Miles, just... wait up for me okay? I'm gonna stay here for a while longer, maybe see Truce or Polly start a family... I'll tell you all about it when I get up there." Phoenix smiled, it was closure not enough to heal his broken heart right away because nothing could do that, but enough to where he felt like a weight had been lifted. One last kiss to the cold lips of his lover and Phoenix started to make his way back to the building, back to reality. Back to his family.

A golden spirit looked on as his friend and partner walked away, a feeling of peace washing over him before looking back to his lovers mentor and his father before closing his eyes and letting his soul finally find peace and rest.