Ink from the heart - Soulmate Au

Soulmate AU where you can draw something on your skin and it appears on your soulmate's skin too. Phoenix likes to annoy his soulmate, Miles, even though they haven't realized they're soulmates

Au - Gregory never died so Miles still became a Defense attorney and Phoenix still went to college for his art. They're still friends but don't see each other often. Don't worry Miles still has his sass.

This is probably shit ngl, I'm not great at writing soulmate Au's so you get to deal with my struggle to make this wholesome and as fluffy as I could.

More angst soon :)

Miles groaned as he leaned back in his chair, his palms digging into his eyes as he tried to relive a bit of pain from staring at his computer screen for so long. His current case was taking everything out of him, his client wouldn't cooperate or tell him anything no matter what he did so he had to go digging for information himself, he was drained. Miles was snapped out of his thoughts when he felt his arm tingle, his soulmate was either drawing on himself or writing to Miles for the chance to have a conversation, they've done it before but Miles slowly stopped responding especially when he got swamped with work. Though a break did sound nice, pulling up his sleeve he looked at the blue pen appearing on his arm, 'Never got to ask, where are you? I've just gotten paid big from my job so if you live far I could catch a flight to see you :)' Miles huffed as he grabbed a pen from the holder on his desk, clicking it open before  going to write on his arm hesitating for a second or two.

Should he say? He wasn't a fan of the soulmate thing and he was happy with just the two people who knew him personally, even if one of them was a huge idiot and the other was like an easily excited puppy. Shaking himself out of those thoughts he press the pen to his skin, 'Don't waste your money like that, if we wanted to meet "fate" would decide when.' He could almost feel the disappointment as the blue ink appeared once again. 'It's not wasting it :( I just wanna see you, I have no idea what you even look like or anything about you' 'Good' Miles didn't even realize he wrote on his arm but there was the black ink just one word, he felt a pang of guilt as the realization that his response was kind of rude.

Before he could think too much on it his phone buzzed, the screen lighting up with a text from Phoenix, a smile tugged at his lips as he grabbed his phone and opened it to read the text.
P: Are you busy?
M: I'm working on a case right now, do you need something?
P: Ah, that explains why you've been so distant
P: I was wondering if you wanted to go out and grab something to eat but I can pick something up and come by if that's okay :)

Miles smiled as he looked at the text, he probably would still bring food by for him even if he said he was fine. That was just something Phoenix would do to make sure Miles was eating properly and not throwing himself into work, speaking of he sent a text that it was fine and looked at his computer again, his soulmate had stopped bothering him so he might as well get a little more done before Phoenix got there and dragged him away. Miles phone buzzed again a few seconds later after he starting typing again,
P: Our usual?
M: Obviously.

Looking back at his notes and the files he had pulled up on the screen Miles’s eyes caught onto the blue and black ink still on his skin, he felt shitty now that he had time to look at his shitty response more, groaning at his inability to focus if he didn't fix his goddamn mistakes he picked up the pen he was using once more and wrote on his arm.

'I'm sorry, I'm not a big fan of the soulmate thing but I shouldn't be a jerk.' Biting his lip Miles started writing again, 'If you'd like to meet up sometime in the future we can talk about pricing then.' Pulling his sleeve back down he got back to work though his mind was wandering to Phoenix, he knew Larry had already met his soulmate, the dude stole his car for a whole week to go see her once they talked about meeting up. Phoenix on the other hand hadn't talked about his soulmate or even if he had met them or not, Miles knew he dated and had just ended a relationship with a girl who almost got away with framing him for murder if Miles didn't ask another attorney to defend Phoenix for him since he was working on a different case at the time. Miles still needed to pay Mia back for that.

"They didn't have your tea so I stopped by a convenience store to grab you an iced tea." Phoenix called as he walked into Miles office, he had a bright smile as he placed the bags down on the coffee table, watching as Miles saved his work before closing his laptop and walking over to sit next to Phoenix on the floor.

"Thank you for picking this up Phoenix, I can pay you back for-" Phoenix almost immediately cut Miles off, "No no! Its okay, my treat, plus I just wanted to see you again. You've been distant and it gets lonely." Miles frowned, grabbing Phoenix's hand and gave it a little squeeze, he really didn't like leaving Phoenix alone especially since Larry was barely around due to him being with his girlfriend most of the time. "After I'm done this case we can go do something if you'd like." Phoenix brightened at that and nodded before opening up the bags of food and grabbing the noodles out for both himself and Miles, the attorney meanwhile zoned out as he popped off the plastic lid to both wither bowls and started eating his, the silence that fell over them was comforting as Phoenix finished putting the garbage back into the bag to clear off the coffee table more.

Phoenix stretched before pulling off his hoodie and placing it beside him and grabbing his bowl after Miles had passed it to him, though the ink on Phoenix's arm caught his attention. "Did your soulmate write to you?" Miles asked making Phoenix look up then down at his arm, "Oh this? Nah I wrote to them fir- Oh shit!" Phoenix panicked as he stood up startling Miles as the spiked haired man rushed over to the desk before looking back.

"Do you mind if I use one of your pens? I didn't realize they responded to me and their last response isn't something I wanna leave alone..." Miles was still a bit startled so only nodded before turing back around to continue eating. Then the feeling of his soulmate writing to him made him sigh, subtly pulling up his sleeve to look at the response though this time it was in red ink.

'Sorry I didn't reply sooner I didn't have a pen on hand, and you don't have to worry about that I'm sorry for pushing." Miles’s brows knit together as the shitty feeling returned making him lose his appetite, he'd save the noodles for later. Phoenix returned, sitting down and leaning back onto the couch after placing a red pen onto the coffee table. Miles noticed but put it off as a coincidence, it had to be chance that Phoenix had used a red pen at the same time his soulmate had replied to him in red pen. Right?

"Phoenix, if it's not too much to ask, what did your soulmate say to you that made you have to respond so quick?" Miles had a small feeling of hope that Phoenix was his soulmate, it would make this ten times easier if he was. "Just- I don't know... I don't blame them for how they feel but, they don't like the soulmate thing all that much and just apologized for responding quote on quote 'like a jerk' but they have every right too! I pushed and-" "God you worry too much, I don't know if it's a curse I'm stuck with you or a blessing." Phoenix whipped his head up to look at his friend sitting across from him in shock, Miles only smiled back as tears glossed over his eyes. Phoenix felt tears of his own build up before falling, letting out a wet laugh as he ran a hand through his hair with a smile spreading over his features in disbelief. "Really? Holy fuck we suck at communicating." Miles laughed at that as a few tears slipped down his cheeks, he was overwhelmed with happiness and relief that his soulmate was someone he could see himself spending his life with, someone he already liked. More then a friend. Phoenix was soon at his side wiping his tears and gently placing a kiss on his forehead.

After the both of them huddled close and just enjoyed the others company as they usually did, however it felt different, more special and comforting. Miles leaned his head on Phoenix's shoulder and smiled up at him, "I told you fate would decide when we meet." Phoenix laughed as he turned to Miles more and grabbed him by his waist, pulling him into his lap and leaving a kiss on his nose. "And yet I still 'wasted' my money on you!" Miles gasped with fake offense and pushed Phoenix away as they laughed.

This was nice, they could get used to this.