Chapter Ten: Red Light District (Last Act)

Toji sighs as he lays his head on his arms, trying to take a nap. Kuro is an officer, but also a cowardly one. He can't do anything to Toji even if he tried to act brave. So Toji didn't worry about that. Then, cold as ice, fingers touches Toji's nape. He jolts and doesn't hesitate to swing a blade at breakneck speed, only for it to go through someone's palm, his green eyes glowing murderously at the sudden contact. Blood splatters on his cheek. Kuro from the side is much more surprised than Toji, noticing far too little reaction time from him.

"Kitty. It's me."

Toji's eyes widens.

He didn't mean to do that.

"Fuck. Didn't sense you."

Toji couldn't apologize, too confused about Sakimi's numb reaction. No. He refuses to apologize either way. His stupid pride he thought he threw will get in the way, that he knows.

She tilts her head and chuckles carelessly, pulling the blade roughly from her palm and hands it back to Toji who nodded at her.

Frantic, Kuro searches for bandages in his pockets just to be stopped by Sakimi.

"It's fine, Officer. And thank you for trusting us. There wouldn't be any weird cases like that in here anymore," she states before she turns back to Toji while wiping off her blood on his cheek as if it's just some dirt that got on him. She then wraps it around her bleeding hand, using it as a bandage instead of getting some from the officer. "How's the girl?"

He turns away.

"Fine."

Sakimi pats his shoulder, having to stand slightly on the tips of her toes.

"I see. Great job."

He shrugs her hand away and walks off, nodding to Kuro who only nods back before turning to look back to Sakimi.

"We're still gonna talk about your attitude after this. Let's go."

She stands still, sighing, before she feels another set of eyes on her figure. Turning around, she meets the gaze of the woman. She waves and chuckles quietly to herself when she sees Kaede sneer at her and turn away.

"Well, Officer. This is goodbye for now. Hopefully... You don't tell anyone about our.. exorcism." She turns to Kuro, humming while she walks off. "Well, don't hesitate to call us when you notice any spiritual disturbance. We'll be your most reliable bet."

"Brat!" Toji calls from below.

"Sakimi-san..."

Kuro scrunches his nose.

These two have saved people. And despite their suspiciousness, they have piqued his interest. They don't seem to be bad people. Save for Toji who seemed a little too good with that rifle of his. He'll investigate that some other time.

"Thanks. For... helping." He bows with respect, shutting his eyes in shame that he couldn't finish this case by himself. The fact that he wouldn't be able to solve it by himself either way still hurts his pride.

Sakimi hums at him softly with her head high.

"Pleasure. Goodbye, Officer Kuro. I hope we meet again under normal circumstances."
______________________________________

The ride back is quiet. Deafening, even. Her silence is too much for Toji to handle. She's giving him too much silence that it starts to bother him. It shouldn't. But it still does.

"Awfully quiet, aren't you?" He starts, his tone biting at Sakimi's nerves.

"You're not saying anything, either."