Chapter 18; Let my guard down

Louis's POV

This was probably the most uncomfortable situation I could have possibly ever put myself in. I'm stuck sitting next to a homophobic boy. I can't stop having sex dreams about well; he completely ignores me and scribbles on a piece of paper. No big deal. I couldn't even concentrate on the story I was meant to be working on.

I know I initially thought that it was about him being gay, but I'm starting to doubt that. He probably just has some crippling mental disorder that he's trying to hide with his bad-boy attitude.

A front is an excellent way to hide. It stops people from seeing what's really there. Carson Ace was a master at only letting people see what he wanted them too. Even his parents had no idea what was going on in his life. He liked it that way.

At least it was more comfortable this way. No one could see the crippling depression behind his bad-boy attitude. But the depression was only getting worse. The world itself was starting to lose its color, hope, and happiness faded. Everything he had ever lived for or looked forward to no longer mattered. He was empty. Almost soulless in was way just following the same routine every day but never really living it.

A piece of paper fluttered onto my desk, breaking me out of my writing 'zone.' I couldn't stop myself from rolling my eyes well, opening the note. It was probably a hate letter, anyways.

Louis,

I'm sorry you fainted the other day when I asked you to meet me in the closet. I know it must have been shocking because even I'm shocked that I'm doing this. I'm comfortable in my metaphorical closet. It's safe there. But I couldn't ignore what your poem said. I can't imagine being out or the closet and hated for it. I don't want to imagine how alone you must feel even in a crowded room. But I suppose I already know something about that because I've chosen to isolate myself from the student population. At least I had a choice in the matter. I want to become friends with you. Secretly, of course. Which I know sounds 'insensitive' and 'awful' but you've seen what this school can do, what this town can do. I don't want anyone to find out until I leave for college because once I go, I'm never coming back to this stupid town and it's intolerant citizens.I'm rambling though quite severely. I'll just leave my phone number on the bottom so you can text me or whatever it is that friends do.

555-555-5347

Please don't pass out again.

What just happened?

Carson's POV

As soon as I put the finishing touches on my note, I passed it to Louis. Then I started panicking. I didn't even reread it or double-check my spelling and grammar.

I watched him out of the corner of my eye as he rolled his eyes and opened the note before he slowly started reading it.

I watched as his eyes got wide and his mouth slightly dropped.

It was an attractive look on him.

I watched as he closed the note looking confused.

I met his eyes when he glanced in my direction. I gave the smallest nod of my head to let him know it was real and it was me.

But I wasn't watching the people around me. Or paying attention to the fact they were watching me. I let my guard down and it was going to come back and bite me in the ass.