Chapter Four; Calculus

I couldn't focus on my classes. This day was just too weird. First, I can't remember the ending of my dream last night because it's blurred out and soundless. Then I get to school and meet a new boy that apparently can ruin me. Which means he knows I'm gay. I don't know how he knows or if anyone else knows, but suddenly it seems like the comfort of my closet might be taken away. I wasn't ready to leave it behind. I mean, sure I probably have lost myself in this lie I live, but at least I'm in school and safe. If I came out, that wouldn't be the case. I would be roadkill basically. I'd be expelled from school (for some made-up reason) and kicked out of my house (not only for getting kicked out of school but for being gay in general). I mean, there was nothing else that could really destroy you in this school or even this town. So he had to know something.But how? Even if he was some kind of fantastic hacker and hacked into my computer, I have never searched gay porn or even porn in general. So that would prove nothing. I've never been in a relationship. I don't have friends. I don't go online and secretly tell random people that I'm gay in the hope of finding acceptance somewhere. The only person who knows is me, so unless he can magically read minds, he has nothing on me. Even then, he would have no proof and if I fought it (fought him more truthfully), then no one would believe it. I'm safe.He's probably just trying to get in my head anyway. I bet he was some big old badass at his last school and thinks that by moving here and treating me, he can gain a title at this school. But that's not going to happen. Being the school bad boy is my thing. It's my protection and I won't let him take it away from me. This was my school and it was going to stay my school until I graduated in June. There was just no way he was going to beat me out of everything that I worked so hard to build.With that, I felt safe and at peace enough to actually start tuning back into my class. Calculus Two AP. Yeah, I was probably surrounded by more nerds than any other school's bad boy. They kept quiet about me being in their classes and I generally left them alone. I could hurt you just as severely with words as I could my fists. That's not a small feat either. I work out for one to two hours a day, plus I take defense classes and did a lot of kickboxing growing up. I was quickly able to defend myself and most people knew it. They had seen me fight before, but they have never seen me lose. I didn't plan on starting to lose fights anytime soon."Let f(x) = 2x+2 and compute f(x) as x takes values closer to 1. We first consider values of x approaching 1 from the left, (x<1)" The teacher started off drawing a table on the board. I quickly transferred it to my notes before she went on."We now consider x approaching 1 from the right (X>1). We are talking about the values that f(x) take when x gets closer to 1, not f(1). In fact, we may talk about the limit of f(x) as x approaches an even when f(a) is undefined." She paused for a minute to let us take notes on this and look for a solution ourselves. We had our textbooks as a guide. The one thing I learned from taking AP math classes is that you end up doing a lot of trial and error before the teacher actually teaches you."Can anyone tell me the answer?" as per usual, most people in the class were still looking desperately at their textbooks. I had already gone over the first three chapters over the summer, so I knew what I was doing. I raised my hand without even really thinking about it. The teacher nodded in my direction and I decided that meant I could answer."In both cases as f(x) approaches 1, f(x) approaches 4. Intuitively, we say that limx→1 f(x) =4." My voice was quite confident with an undertone of cocky. The teacher actually looked shocked that someone could answer her first try. I suppose she figured that none of us would look over the chapter before school even started.Most of us probably were hoping that we could slack off since it was the first day. But I like to learn and I want to be right, so I study things before we actually learn them. I'm pretty independent in my studies. The bell rang through the silence and Mrs. McClellan dismissed us by telling us our homework was chapter one review. Not that it would be a problem seeing I had done it three weeks earlier.I walked down the halls with my usual confidence back. I knew I was safe and nothing was going to stop me from keeping myself safe. I headed down to the cafeteria to get something to eat. Not that school food was edible most of the time, but I made the best of it. What I didn't expect was for someone to catch up with me and demand my attention. Even if I had, I didn't expect it to be the boy from earlier.