I.f

After Kriss had left, everyone came back into the room and I continued with the budget papers. Once I'd finished those, Stavros came over to discuss a trade deal with Italy. I was so engrossed in our conversation that I didn't even notice America had entered until she was standing next to the bed. "Your Majesty," she said quietly, falling into a curtsy. Her dress was cut awkwardly to her knees and her hair had come undone, yet she still looked beautiful.

"Set the papers here, Stavros." I said. "Would everyone please leave the room? I need to speak with the lady." I felt nervous again, and I sensed that America felt a bit uncomfortable as well.

After everyone had left, the doors closed, and it was just America and I together in the large room.

She was the first to talk. "I'm so sorry about your parents."

"It doesn't seem real yet," I answered honestly. I motioned to the bed, hoping she'd sit next to me. "I keep thinking that Father is in his study, and Mom's downstairs, and any minute one of them will come in here with something for me to do." I felt comfortable opening up to her, because I knew it was something she'd understand after just losing her father.

"I know exactly what you mean," she said.

"I know you do," I said with a sympathetic smile. I placed my hand on top of hers, wanting somebody to talk to. "She tried to save him. A guard told me a rebel had my father in his sights, but she ran behind him. She went down first, but they got Father immediately after." I shook my head, still in shock over what had happened. "She was alway selfless. To her very last breath."

America replied, "You shouldn't be so surprised. You're a lot like her."

I couldn't help but make a face. "I'll never be quite as good as her," I said sadly. "I'm going to miss her so much." I was quiet for a moment as America rubbed my hand gently. "At least you're safe," I said, feeling grateful. "At least there's that."

We were both quiet for a while, when I remembered what I wanted to show her. I asked her to get the papers from where I'd left them in the drawer, and I watched her face as she read them. Her initial confusion turned slowly into excitement.

"Are you...you're going to dissolve the castes?" she asked, disbelief in her voice. "That's the plan," I said, smiling. Seeing her happy made me happy, and I hoped that my plan would help my people. I excitedly explained my plan to her, and she listened in earnest. I took her hand again, already missing its touch.

"I want you to know that this is all your doing. Since the day you called me into the hallway and told me about being hungry, I've been working on this." I said. "It was one of the reasons I got so upset after you didn your presentation; I had a quieter way of reaching the exact same goal," I admitted. "But of all of the things I wanted to do for my country, this would have never crossed my mind if I hadn't known you," I told her honestly.

America looked at the papers, pleased and in disbelief. I couldn't imagine what this meant for her.

I hesitated, feeling nervous again. "There's something else," I said. I found the box I'd brought to the room and put it on the papers in front of her.

"I've been sleeping with that darn thing under my pillow," I said jokingly. America looked up at me, stunned. I could tell she had a million questions in her mind, but I wanted to ask my own first. "Do you like it?" I'd chosen it over the holidays, and I'd loved how it was made specially for her and I. America tried to speak, but settled for a smile and a nod when she couldn't form the words.

I cleared my throat. "Twice now I've tried to do this on a grand scale and failed spectacularly. As it is, I can't even get down on one knee. I hope you won't mind if I just speak to you plainly," I said.

She nodded. I struggled with putting my thoughts into words, eventually deciding to simply be honest and express myself. "I love you," I said. "I should have told you a long time ago. Maybe we could have avoided so many stupid mistakes if I had." I paused and reconsidered. "But then again, sometimes I think it was all of those obstacles that made me love you so deeply," I added while smiling.

I saw a tear form in America's eyes, but there was more I needed to say. "What I said was true," I began. "My heart is yours to break. As you already know, I'd rather die than see you in pain. In the moment I was hit, when I fell to the floor sure my life was ending, all I could think about was you," I said. I swallowed, overcome with emotion. My eyes began to water as I remembered those moments, how helpless I felt when I thought we could never be together.

"In those seconds, I was mourning everything I'd lost," I continued. "How I'd never get to see you walk down an aisle toward me, how I'd never get to see your face in our children, how I'd never get to see streaks of silver in your hair." He looked away for a moment, before setting his eyes back on me. "But, at the same time, I couldn't be bothered. If me dying meant you living," I shrugged my uninjured shoulder. "how could that be anything but good?"

America was full-on crying now, as full of emotion as I was. "America," I said. She wiped her eyes and faced me, her beautiful eyes meeting mine. Once I had her attention, I continued. "I know you see a king here, but let me be clear: this isn't a command. This is a request, a plea. I beg you: make me the happiest man alive. Please do me the honor of becoming my wife." I took a deep breath, relieved after putting everything out on the table. There was no more hiding now. I'd put my heart on the line, risking it all in the hope of true love.

America still seemed incapable of words. She crawled into my arms, holding me tightly. I understood what she was asking and tilted my head to kiss her. I felt strong with her with me, and I knew that she was the one I was meant to spend the rest of my life with. When we finally broke apart, we looked into each other's eyes. America smiled, and she said the one word I'd been hoping to hear all day. "Yes."