II.a

I sighed, looking at the papers piled up on the desk in front of me. I had so much work to do that I felt overwhelmed. I'd had a lesson with Silvia earlier in the day, which had been incredibly difficult. There was so much more to being queen than I'd realized, and I was feeling stressed about all of the things I still had to learn. And since the lesson had ended I'd had to help with organizing the caste elimination project.

Maxon was so busy with repairing all of the damage his father had done with New Asia that I'd offered to help take over the caste elimination project in the meantime. Now, I was worried about how much I had to do. Because now I had to focus on it, in addition to planning for my wedding, preparing for the coronation, learning to be queen, and eating and sleeping. I pressed the palm of my hand into my forehead, trying to get myself to focus. There was so much to be done.

I hadn't realized how complex and intricate the project was. When I presented the idea during the Selection months ago, I'd focused more on the outcome than the process of getting there. But after looking at Maxon's incredibly detailed and thought out draft of the caste elimination process, I knew that it was anything but. And now it fell to me to keep working on it. But despite all the trouble it was causing me now, I knew it was for the better. I was glad to do a service for my country, and help free all of those who felt trapped by their caste. It was a dream come true for me.

This motivating prep talk was what I needed to focus back on my work in front of me.

For a while, I was lost in the project. Now that we had spent a couple of months introducing the project to the country and working to make it sound appealing to the higher castes, we were ready to begin the elimination. The first step would be merging the Eights into the Sevens, meaning that we'd have to get rid of the labels attached to each caste. This would involve a lot of work on the palace's part, as swaying public opinion was never easy. I needed to prepare a speech to give on the Report later this week about the project, seeing as it was the idea I'd suggested during the Selection. I also needed to prepare for the meeting we were having with the State leaders, where we'd give them guidance on how the caste elimination would work.

I was working on a draft of my speech when the door to the office opened. "Hello, Your Highness!" a cheery voice sang. I looked up as my lady-in-waiting entered, a tray in her hands. "You missed lunch," Marlee said, placing the tray on the desk as she sat down in the chair across from me.

"That smells amazing," I said. I hadn't realized how hungry I was until I smelled the grilled chicken and steamed rice on the tray. "I completely lost track of time. You saved me." I grabbed the knife from the tray and began cutting the chicken into strips.

Marlee laughed. "I knew it was unlike you to miss a meal, so I thought I'd check in on you."

"Thank you," I said, talking around the chicken I'd just shoved in my mouth.

"It was nothing." Marlee paused as she looked at the massive amounts of paper piled up around me. "Wow, you look like you've been busy."

"Yeah," I sighed, taking a bite of the rice. It was delicious. "I've been working on the caste elimination project since I finished my lesson with Silvia this morning. And after this I need to go meet with the wedding planner to discuss tablecloths for the reception." I rolled my eyes at the task I had in front of me.

Marlee giggled. "Well, let me know if you need help with anything," she said. "I've already got all your meetings scheduled for the rest of this week. Remember we're meeting with the State leaders in 3 days," she added, going into full Lady-in-Waiting mode.

"I haven't forgotten," I said, trying to sound sarcastic in the hopes that it'd cover the worry that was building up in me.

"I know," Marlee said, sounding more serious. "You sure you're okay, America?"

"Yes, yes, I'm fine. Just busy, that's all." I waved my hand in front of my face, as if shooing away her concerns.

"But, are y-" Just as Marlee was about to ask me something else, there was a knock on the door to the office.

"Come in," I said, grateful for the distraction.

A maid entered, a note in her hands. "It's from the King. And the wedding planner has arrived as well."

"Thank you," I said, curious as to what was in Maxon's note.

"I have to go," I said to Marlee. I barely gave her time to answer as I rushed out of the room. After I made it down the hallway, however, I slowed down. I wasn't really that desperate to go meet the wedding planner. I just didn't want the conversation with Marlee to go on much longer. Her concern was sweet, but I didn't want her worrying about me. Taking advantage of this small break in my day, I opened the note the maid had given me.

Tugging my ear. Free after dinner? - Maxon