The Unholy Trinity-Chapter Eleven

As usual, Lucian was there to greet her when she stepped off the school bus. The grin he gave her made Fallon’s heart race. That boy was too hot for words, and it didn’t have anything to do with his body temperature.  

            “Hey,” he said. “I heard you sold your soul to the devil.”

            Fallon laughed. “Who told you that lie?”

            Lucian cocked his head to the right. “It’s a lie, huh?”

            “Damn right it is. I didn’t sell it to the devil. I made a trade for it with his son.”

            Lucian snaked his arms around her waist. “Guess that makes you his soul mate then.”

            “I heard something like that.”

            As she stood on her tiptoes to kiss him, she was overcome with a sense of dread. Fallon paused and cut her eyes from side to side.

            Lucian frowned at her. “What’s wrong?” 

            “I don’t know. It’s probably nothing.”

            “Then come here,” he said and pulled her closer.

            Their lips touched, and Fallon closed her eyes. Just as the sweetness of his kiss started to carry her away, someone grabbed her from behind. Fallon’s eyes flew open, and she spun around to see Christian holding on to her. When she looked back at Lucian, she saw him pinned behind the crucifixes and Bibles being held in the air by Wendy and Angelica.

            “What are you doing?” Fallon demanded.    

            “Trying to save your soul,” Christian answered. “I heard you sold it to the son of Satan.”

            Fallon squirmed against his hold. “I did not.”

            The sound of thunder crashed in the darkening sky. Fallon glanced over at Lucian and saw Griffin at his side. A bolt of lightning shot between the twins and landed in front of the God Squad. Both girls screamed and jumped back. When their holy symbols fell to the ground, Lucian and Griffin snatched the girls up and held them in their arms. Wendy and Angelica thrashed against them.

            “Let go of Fallon right now or we’ll kill these bitches,” Lucian warned.

            “Don’t do it, Christian,” Angelica cried.

            “This isn’t over, Fallon,” Christian whispered in her ear. “I will save your soul, and you’ll be mine.”

            Finally, he let go of her, shoving her forward as he did. Lucian released his hold on Wendy so he could draw Fallon into his arms. With the trade complete the sky returned to its normal shade of haze, and the God Squad was gone as if they’d vanished into thin air.

            “What do you think that was all about?” Griffin asked.

            “Christian said somebody told him I sold my soul to the son of Satan,” Fallon answered.

            “His father probably told him after your name dropped off their book,” Lucian said.

            Fallon knitted her eyebrows together. “What book?”

            “There’s a book in Heaven where the names of all the inbound souls are kept,” Lucian answered. “Yours must have disappeared after what we did yesterday, and JC must have gotten pissed.”