The Unholy Trinity-Chapter Fifteen

A few days after Christmas, Fallon hit the mall with Daphne and Ava. She wanted to use the gift card Lucian gave her to buy an amazing dress for his birthday party. This wasn’t going to be any party. It was a formal party that reminded her more of a prom than a sixteenth birthday celebration. Either way, she needed to find something that would take his breath away and make him happy he chose her.

“I love those boots,” Daphne squealed as they passed by the shoe store. “Let’s go in and see if they’re on sale.”

They squeezed their way into the tiny store where they were elbow to elbow with dozens of after Christmas shoppers. By now, Fallon thought the crowds would’ve died down, but the masses still seemed obsessed with finding the best bargains.

Daphne pulled on the black leather boots and held a leg in the air. “What do you think?”

“I love them,” Ava agreed.

“Those heels are pretty high though,” Fallon pointed out.

“I’m getting them,” Daphne decided. “I need all the extra height I can get.”

They had to stand in line fifteen minutes before it came time for their turn. When the clerk told them the boots were on sale for half off, Daphne declared it was worth the wait. After this quick detour, they were on their way again. Macy’s was their first stop, and they went straight for the formal wear. Ava and Daphne squealed and cooed over all the dresses as they plucked them from the rack and loaded down Fallon’s arms.

“Promise me you’ll be totally honest and tell me if I look bad in any of these?” Fallon begged as she disappeared into the fitting room.

“Promise,” the girls chorused and then giggled.

For the next half-hour, Fallon listened to their commentary. This dress was too long. This one was too short. That one showed too much cleavage and made her look slutty. That one didn’t show enough cleavage, and she looked too virginal. This one looked like something a nun would wear while that one looked like something a stripper would wear. That one was so last year’s style. This one was cute, but at least two other girls would be wearing the same thing because it was too common.

“That’s the one!” Daphne cried when Fallon stepped out of the dressing room for the thousandth time.

Fallon turned in slow circles. “Are you sure it doesn’t make me look like a cow?”

“Are you kidding?” Ava scoffed. “I don’t know what planet you’re from, but skinny bitches are out. Guys want a curvy girl with boobs and a butt.”

“She’s right,” Daphne agreed. “Why do you think water bras and booty stuffers are such big sellers?”

“Curves I can live with,” Fallon said. “I just don’t want to look like one of those girls that squeeze into a tight dress because she doesn’t know how fat she is.”

“I think it’s perfect,” Daphne insisted.

“Me too,” Ava said.

Fallon stood in front of the full length three way mirror and tried to imagine what Lucian would say. Would he like the floor length satin gown with the rhinestones sewn onto the plunging V-neckline? Would he think the satin material felt as good against his skin as it did against hers?

“Okay, I’ll get it,” Fallon said.

Daphne reached to grab the tiny lock hanging from Fallon’s neck. “Hey, what’s this?”

“Lucian gave it to me,” Fallon answered. “He’s wearing one too, only his is two little silver keys.”

“Lock and keys?” Ava said and giggled. “I never made the connection before. That’s too cute.”