The Unholy Trinity-Chapter Twenty-nine

By the time Fallon got out of bed on Saturday morning, her mom was already finished with her exercise routine. This time the music didn’t bother her, but she didn’t know if that was because her mom kept the volume low or if she was used to it. After helping herself to some breakfast, Fallon took a shower and got dressed. She’d just settled herself in front of the television for an afternoon of mindless channel surfing when her cell phone rang. Fallon sprinted for it and then frowned to see who it was.

            “It’s Joelle.”

            “I know. I have caller ID.”

            “Oh, um, are you busy?”

            “No, why?”

            “How come you sound mad? I waited until after noon this time.”

            “I’m not mad.”

            “Okay, well, are you busy?”

            “Not really. I was just about to watch some TV. Why?”

            “Are you a demon too?”

            Fallon closed her bedroom door in case her mom was listening. “How much did Griffin tell you?”

            “He just said it was true and he didn’t tell me because he knew I wouldn’t get it and it was up to me if I could deal with it.”

            “Can you?”    

            “I don’t know. I mean, maybe, if I knew a little more about it.”

            “So, why don’t you ask him what you want to know?”

            “I don’t think he’ll tell me.”

            “And you think I will?”

            “I was kind of hoping you would.”

            Fallon drew in a deep breath. Even though it seemed like forever ago that she learned the truth about Lucian, it hadn’t even been a year. She could still remember the shock she felt at seeing him stop time to prove his identity to her. At least she’d seen it coming. Poor Joelle didn’t know what hit her.

            “All right, but we can’t talk about this on the phone,” Fallon gave in.

            “I could meet you at the mall later. My mom’s taking my brothers shopping for new shoes so I could catch a ride with her.”

            “What time?”

            “Around three.” 

            “Okay, meet me in the food court at three.” 

As soon as she hung up the phone, she called Lucian to tell him what happened. Before she told Joelle anything, she needed to know how much he thought it was safe to share. Lucian passed the phone off to Griffin.

“Tell her everything,” Griffin said.

“Are you sure? What if she freaks out again?”

“Then I guess we’ll break up for good this time.”

“What if she tells people the truth about you?”

“The only ones who will believe her already know anyway.”

“I guess you’re right. So, you want me to convince her it’s okay and you’re not that bad even if your dad’s name is Satan?”

“Can you try, Fallon? I know you and Loosh don’t get it, but I like her a lot.”